1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Oil catch can - do we need this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 AM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil catch can - do we need this?

On other forums for newer trucks I've read about these oil catch cans. I'm wondering if we need that for our older Dakotas? Mine is a '93 3.9L. I'll put one on if y'all think they work for our trucks.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:08 AM
matteusclement
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't this what the breather is for?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:34 AM
MacDak
Professional

I don't know, but do a search on oil catch cans, or check out some new Ram, etc. forums, and you'll see a lot being used. It's supposed to keep oil from messing up something, I can't remember. Anyway, the guys are kind of swearing by them. Me? Hey, what do I know?

Old 04-02-2013, 04:03 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

iirc, thats what the pcv valve is for. only reason i see for needing one would be if you are running a turbo or a high performance setup. i could be totally wrong though. just waiting for the hp guys inputs.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:25 PM
cd36
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCV Valve doesn't control oil flow, it just is a check valve. This is more what the breather filter is for, which doesn't exist on newer vehicles.

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300C with the 5.7L Hemi, and it is a pretty popular thing to put on the Hemi's. I do have one on my car, and it does fill up with oil and I need to empty it every oil change. Does it make a difference? I really don't know, can't tell. I only have it cause I got it from a friend of mine for cheap.

The point is to prevent oil from ending up in the intake via the PVC system. Help keep your valves clean, prevent burning oil, etc. etc. I'm guessing though that most 318's out there are like both 318's that I have right now, in that the valve guides leak a bit anyways and it burns oil.

Also the SRT engineers have been on various 300/Charger/Magnum/Challenger forums, and have been asked about catch cans, and they consistently say they are not need, the oil in the PCV system is normal, etc. etc.

I wouldn't worry about adding a catch can.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:24 PM
MacDak
Professional

Oh, good, cd, that's the kind of knowledge I was wanting. So, I'll just keep my PCV changed, the big round thingamajig on the right side valve cover, etc, I should be good to keep rolling!

Quick Reply: Oil catch can - do we need this?