1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Advantages of a 5spd?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Longer life, fewer things to fail, lighter, stronger, better MPG and more power to the ground.
Originally Posted by Tom A
You probably won't see much of a difference in mileage with the 5-speed. Automatics have become pretty efficient these days.
People keep regurgitating this and I just don't buy it. I wouldn't call the automatics behind these engines very advanced technology, maybe you could make that case as you get well into the 2000s. There is slippage and you're driving a pump, that's gonna lower MPG.

More reports I see from owners, the 5 speed trucks tend to have a couple MPG advantage. I've never managed to get less than 14MPG, I see plenty of reports down in the 11-12MPG range from auto v8 Dakotas.

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
As my daddy would have said, "KISS" (Keep it simple, stupid!)
Manual transmissions are simple

Autos don't excite me. My tranny has 230k miles on it, my motor makes about 200ft/lbs more than it's rated for, and my truck returns great MPGs. And I don't have a stupid slushbox deciding when to shift for me.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:50 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you, Hahns! Manual is on my dream list for my '93! Check this guy driving his 6 speed!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=JmRDirm_SlA

Old 04-10-2013, 04:57 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now, hey, if that doesn't make you want a stick shift, well... I just don't know boys! I'd pay good money to get that transmission in my Dakota, but unfortunately, I think they stopped selling them.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
People keep regurgitating this and I just don't buy it. I wouldn't call the automatics behind these engines very advanced technology, maybe you could make that case as you get well into the 2000s. There is slippage and you're driving a pump, that's gonna lower MPG
I don't know how many HP the pump sucks up, but it's not that much. And once the torque converter locks up, there's no slippage.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A
I don't know how many HP the pump sucks up, but it's not that much. And once the torque converter locks up, there's no slippage.
I'm aware TCs lock, but there is still considerable slippage until they do. A properly used clutch is only slipped for a second or two from a stop and that's it. There is a bigger MPG advantage than you let on.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Well, it would be interesting to see some real numbers. I have a 5-speed and I get 10.5mpg, lol.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I just spent a few minutes googling and the difference for my truck is 1mpg (12/16 city/highway vs. 12/17). For a 1997 3.9L, there is no difference at all. YMMV (literally).

Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 PM
keilkravec
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you probably get 10 due to the lift and tires. mines a stock 93 2wd thats getting the 5.9 so I probably won't get that bad of mileage.

Hahns you have a really good point about drivetrain life, I've never seen anyone with a stick vehicle who knew how to rive it properly, have any trouble till well after 300k miles.

That and hat 6 spd video reminded me of a buds old truck and now I'm sold on a stick lol.

Question on parts though, the trucks I have access to for parts are 95-97. I know I need the hardware for the linkages, floor trim and whatnot, far as master cyl and slave cyl go, is that the brake master cylinder that needs to be swapped out? and will 96-97 stuff work on my gen 1? need to get my homework done and in the bag before I head to the junkyard on friday.

Last edited by keilkravec; 04-10-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by keilkravec
you probably get 10 due to the lift and tires. mines a stock 93 2wd thats getting the 5.9 so I probably won't get that bad of mileage.
I'm sure that's why my mileage sucks. It was in the high 14s before I lifted it. I only have a five mile commute, so I'm not that worried about it.

BTW, I'm not arguing against the 5-speed. I like mine and I wouldn't trade it for an auto. I just don't think gas mileage should be the driving force behind switching to manual.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:26 PM
keilkravec
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea thats not the only reason I was considering it, I would much rather not have to worry about it for a longass time and be in better control of my vehicle that way, lets me drive it more effeciently for gearing etc etc. that and its f***king fun lol.

Quick Reply: Advantages of a 5spd?