1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Advantages of a 5spd?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 AM
keilkravec
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advantages of a 5spd?

For a while now I've been working on a 5.9 swap into my 93', and have just been planning to keep the truck an automatic. Past few weeks though I've been seriously considering changing the trans to the nv3500. Whats you alls thought?

I'm aware it's a little more work overall, but I'm thinking the end result would be very well worth it. Probably better fuel mileage and better power usage.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:50 AM
1993dd
Rookie

That would be cool! I've got a 5 speed in my 93' (but its a V6). I think you would get more power and probably a little better mileage too! I think it would be a litttle difficult to change out, but probably well worth it if you are serious about it.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You probably won't see much of a difference in mileage with the 5-speed. Automatics have become pretty efficient these days.You'll also be quicker off the line and through the 1/4 mile (if you're into that sort of thing) with an automatic. Automatics are also a lot less work in stop and go traffic and a lot easier to drive off-road (if you're into that sort of thing).

That said, I love having a 5-speed. I've owned a bunch of manual transmission vehicles and I'll always choose that option if it's available. I like the interactive driving experience, if you know what I mean. Also, manual transmissions and clutches pretty much last forever if you don't abuse them. The same can't really be said for automatics.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:14 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

Thats what I thought about it, I dont really do alot of stop and go, dont go offroading either, but I do like being alot more connected to a vehicle like that. From what I know I'd have to change the driveshafts or get a new one made, and i'd have to track down an nv3500 from a dakota and get the flywheel, clutch and all of that including all the linkage and hardware. My trucks an auto right now but really debating whether the labor is worth the payoff.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Thumbs down I vote no.

Originally Posted by keilkravec
Thats what I thought about it, I dont really do alot of stop and go, dont go offroading either, but I do like being alot more connected to a vehicle like that. From what I know I'd have to change the driveshafts or get a new one made, and i'd have to track down an nv3500 from a dakota and get the flywheel, clutch and all of that including all the linkage and hardware. My trucks an auto right now but really debating whether the labor is worth the payoff.
My 5.2, 4wd has the 4 speed automatic. It gets 19 or 20 mpg out on trips, but is fairly crappy around town (lots of lights and I kinda have a lead foot.) With the lockup torque converter and the overdrive automatic, there's virt-u-ally (wonder why the censor blocks that word) no fuel mileage benefit to changing to a 5 speed.

My sense is that if you have to do a lot of fabrication (and you will) it's not worth the trouble for the little bit of "coolness" you'll gain. Besides having to find all the parts, you'll have to put the stuff in (cutting holes in the body & firewall,) do a bunch of extra crawling around under the truck, and unless you get the proper steering column & dash, you'll end up with leftover stuff that doesn't do anything.

If you are looking for "low end grunt" you'd be better to keep the automatic and change out the rear end gear ratio. And spend your money on a shift kit & auto trans tune up, exhaust, intake, and throttle body improvements.

As my daddy would have said, "KISS" (Keep it simple, stupid!)

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 04-08-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

I can get all the hardware at the local U-pull, last time i was there only 2 of the body matching daks were auto's. fab work is only as extensive and cutting a hole in the floor for the shift tower. everything else is already in there. Just really debating on it since I would have loved for it to be a stick, but at the same time it would be alot easier to stick with an auto as thats what i've already got.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:03 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

Also if I do this to a manual I will be using the hurst competition shifter, found the post in Faq2 about one and summit says its discontinued, but here I found this one and its the same part number, this the same shifter? says its for 04-07 jeep wranglers.
http://www.andysautosport.com/jeep/1...t00224756.html

Old 04-08-2013, 05:20 PM
-Dodge4Life-

I have a 5 speed in my 96 its a 318 and its alot of fun man...in traffic it may not be as fun i think it depends alot upon weather you are stuck in traffic alot or this is just something fun your doing and not your daily driver. If it is your daily driver and you are in bumper to bumper traffic it may not be as fun. Having to shift from neutral to first or second then back to n. Or you kill your foot and leg pushing the clutch in the entire time till traffic moves...

Old 04-08-2013, 06:20 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

Thankfully I only hit stoplights on my commute, only 5 of them at that and most days i roll right through all of them on green. I only get in bumper to bumper during the holidays, otherwise i really never have any trouble with that stuff.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:36 PM
-Dodge4Life-

Sounds like you should put a 5 speed in her!

Quick Reply: Advantages of a 5spd?