1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Whole truck vibrates above 65km/h

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 03:15 PM
matteusclement
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tom,
It is a two piece. Yes, I put it back together the way it was. I did use c-clips.

trh,
the truck drove fine for a year before. My guess is that the new repairs have just put a strain on the old part.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

people that only replace one U joint while the shaft is out drive me nuts... the joints aren't expensive, one is bad, the other certainly isn't far behind and that means pulling the d shaft AGAIN! and yes the center support bearing is a common problem and will cause a he11 of a vibration if bad/worn out

Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 AM
MARLEYM

i have a 93 4x4 dakota and i had same problem and checked and replaced the same things u did . just 2 find out a couple days later that it was my rear pinion yolk , only fount out cuz it got realy bad 1 dasy and i got mad and smashed the gas as i said ur gonna work or brake , lol it broke . it turned out that the yolk was cracked where one of the u-joint strap bolt screwed in .

Old 04-26-2013, 12:32 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heheheheee, spell catcher won't catch yolk-yoke...

But, right, I'd replace it all while drive shaft was off. By the way, welcome, MARLEY! How hard was it to do that rear pinion yoke?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:05 PM
matteusclement
Rookie

I didn't replace it, my brother did. I am on my way to replacing the other two pieces as well as the support bearing.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 AM
MARLEYM

thanks 4 the spell check , i dont know y but i still spell it that way lol. replacein the yoke wasnt that bad of a job, haven my ruck down 4 2weeks(tryin 2 save money by lookin at juck yards) buyin the wrong yoke the first time and when i got new one and then autozone gives me the wrong straps and bolt so i striped out the brand new yoke (strap bolts) that w te hard part jut glad there was a machine shop near by.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 PM
matteusclement
Rookie

with the U-Joints, you just need to use a smaller socket than the Cap and smash it out right?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 PM
matteusclement
Rookie

To anyone doing what I am right now, a few things:

1. The support bearing is on TIGHT. I had to take it to a shop to get pressed off and the new one on. That was $40.
2. The ujoint caps are seized on. I had to use a cutting disc to get the u-joint out... in pieces. Once the core of the joint was out, the caps popped out pretty easy.
3. I used MOOV IT lubricant to get the caps out. It's the best stuff I have used so far.

Now it drives like a new truck. The old support bearing was definitely toast. One u-joint had no needle bearings in one side of it.

Quick Reply: Whole truck vibrates above 65km/h