1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Lockup vs Non-lockup a518

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 PM
MyDisciple
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lockup vs Non-lockup a518

I'm currently in the market for a 518. I understand what the function of the lockup is, I've just been getting some mixed answers on which one to get. I know to avoid any of the 46REs(as they're for sure lockup and beyond what I care to deal with to make it work). It'll be going in a 90 2wd dak behind a carbed 375ish horse 360 and is likely to have a 100 shot of fun juice for the strip.

I'd pretty well just be set on getting a non-lockup as I'd only have to deal with a switch for the OD. Problem is it's proving quite difficult to actually find a non-lockup 518. I am getting answers all over the map about what vehicles to search for. I assume dakotas, rams and maybe some vans had them, but beyond needing to be pre-93 I'm in the dark.

My other option is to just get the lockup tranny and not use the lockup... but I've had some people telling me that they're still a weaker converter or it will hurt the transmission... I'd like to think these claims are bogus, but I'm no expert.

I do know I'm going to abuse it, I regularly tow with the truck and it's likely to be at the drag strip a lot so... Bare minimum it's getting a shift kit and a 2500-3000 converter(big tranny cooler, so I'm not too worried about the lockup in that regard).

Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A TCC helps. In pure racing it might help to gain a little more power to the wheels. If you don't want a lock up just get a non-locking torque converter or just never wire it up.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:58 AM
MyDisciple
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure with that stall I'll be on the converter the whole time down the track Either way I'll probably just go pick up a lockup tranny and call it good, seems it'll probably easier to get parts for when I break it.

Just thought I'd do one last check before I get paid.

Quick Reply: Lockup vs Non-lockup a518