1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Idle Control + water in exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:14 PM
trh7783
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Control + water in exhaust??

Hey guys,
I'm still having an issue with the idle on this truck. It seems to idle lower than it should, and will stall very easily until it gets warmed up. once warm it seems fine. I did put a new Idle air control sensor on...

I'm also seeing water in the exhaust, again when it is first started, until it gets warm. There is some white smoke as well. When I put my hand up to the exhaust it leaves water spots with black flecks on my hand.

Is this a vacuum issue possibly?? I messed up and didn't mark all the vacuum hoses when I changed the engine, so it's possible I have something in the wrong place. I don't suppose anyone is close to the Atlanta area that I could look at your truck??

I'm still waiting to get my driveshaft back in to actually drive it, and see if the vibration is gone.. put in a new fuel pump today.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

i cant help with the idle speed. on the water. the engine pulls in water from the air. allso it makes water as it runs. ie for every gal of gas the engine makes about a gal of water. ie air has oxygen, gas has hydrogen. when you burn gas the two mix and make water. sounds crazy but its true.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 PM
trh7783
Amateur
Default Forgot to mention... showing codes 25 and 27

25** Idle air control motor circuit short or open condition detected

27* Injector control circuit failure

Old 05-19-2013, 06:21 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

i found this about gasoilne burning air makes water.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/gasoline5.htm

"When cars burn gasoline, they would ideally burn it perfectly and create nothing but carbon dioxide and water in their*exhaust. Unfortunately, the*internal combustion engine*is not perfect. In the process of burning the gasoline, it also produces:"

but the water should not put much water in the crankcase if the rings are sealed. but a lot of air goes through the crankcase cause of the PCV valve. this is why you need to run the engine as hot as you can. remember ALL acids are water base. the acids destroy bearings, and cause the oil to turn to crud.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 PM
trh7783
Amateur

Thanks Moe! I'm not too worried about the water now..

Old 05-22-2013, 12:29 AM
Cooreman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the idle speed if I remember correctly on te throttle body I'm thinking fuel rail..? There is a metal little cap put in so you can't tamper with it get a tiny punch or flat head and just pop it out then it should be a screw to adjust the idle. Doesn't take much to adjust

Quick Reply: Idle Control + water in exhaust??