1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

questions/upgrades to the 3.9magnum

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 AM
keilkravec
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The heads will be worse and they won't work on your motor, magnum motor is setup for magnum heads, anythings pre-92' will be LA series and not work.

Exhuast manifolds if you want the best stock performance are 92-93 only.

And a V8 swap can actually be a great deal cheaper than rebuilding that boat anchor, you will also see better highway mileage out of the V8 (go figure) or atleast thats what the numbers have all said on here.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 PM
edfegley

Originally Posted by re33ak
300$ car - big problem on it's repairing
everyone i told that too said the same after the first month i bought more then a year ago. knock on wood but the truck is a monster

Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 PM
vhinze
Rookie

At 197k, my '93 3.9l timing cover gasket started to leak coolant. I got lazy and let my local shop change it. Glad I did. They also ended up putting on a new belt, belt tensioner (pretty common for these to go out) a water pump and as long as they were in there, a new timing chain. The new chain made a huge difference, the engine ran like new. If your truck is anywhere close to 200k, consider a timing chain, its probably overdue.

Last edited by vhinze; 06-05-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:11 PM
transamlover50259
Rookie

I bought my 94 for $200 and put about that much into it to get it road ready. I drive it daily now and it's been great! I would rather drive the truck over my 04 grand prix.

From what I've heard from just about every mechanic and anyone who ever owned one of these V-6 motors they're basically bulletproof. Sure they may not be the greatest on gas but if it'll give me trouble free driving I will be happy with it.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:33 AM
keilkravec
Veteran

Heads will give you trouble after a while, mine I can tell by dissapearing coolant and performance burps that the they internally cracked.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:21 AM
edfegley

Originally Posted by keilkravec
Heads will give you trouble after a while, mine I can tell by dissapearing coolant and performance burps that the they internally cracked.
this reply intrigues me the most because i got burps when pulling out in first and sometimes 2nd gear, i put my foot down and the power is just not there almost like running on 4cylniders or less. i also notice disapearring coolant. so on a scale of 1-10 how much of a pain is it to do heads on these and how much is it going to affect my wallet

Old 06-10-2013, 01:07 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

depends where you find heads, and what is done to them or what they are made of. Hughes Engines sells the Iron Ram heads for the V8 for $800 assembled and made of cast iron so no cracking, not sure if they got the 6 heads or not like that

And heads can be a total pain, have to remove the whole top end to get them off.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:11 PM
edfegley

Originally Posted by keilkravec
depends where you find heads, and what is done to them or what they are made of. Hughes Engines sells the Iron Ram heads for the V8 for $800 assembled and made of cast iron so no cracking, not sure if they got the 6 heads or not like that

And heads can be a total pain, have to remove the whole top end to get them off.
i used to own a 4.3 vortec and remanned heads on it cause i was ill informed it was the head gaskets when it was only intake. anywho after i rebuilt the top end the bottom end took a **** and i scrapped it, i was only 17 and out of money. depending on the scenario if i was able to i would like to just get a new motor but im sure thatll cost my soul and then some.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:45 PM
ricekiller
Rookie

Originally Posted by edfegley
i did consider a v8 swap heavily but this is my only vehicle and i commute for what and i can risk not being able to work, that and it seems too costly. i love my truck and would love to put a v8 in it but from what i read its almost always cheaper to just buy one witha v8.

im going to look into the rockers though i didnt hear about them. i read somewhere if you take 3.9 stock headers off a 89-92?93?? they allow more airflow so im going to pick up a pair this weekend if all goes well

why wouldn't it work? all you really need is a motor, pcm, and some wires. done. can be done in under a day.

Quick Reply: questions/upgrades to the 3.9magnum