1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

BKCowGod's Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:20 PM
BKCowGod
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yah, I was thinking about that. It's a ways down the road. I just spent the last two days redoing the suspension in the Range Rover in prep for a camping trip and I apparently have a family I'm supposed to pay attention to :P

Old 06-14-2013, 01:08 PM
bran1har
Rookie

Do you have a mount for the UV-5R? I wonder where I could mount mine? Now I have a yaesu mobile, but it looks ugly up on the dash and I never need more than 5 watts so I might think about putting the baofeng inside my truck too. Any ideas? I'd still keep the antenna on the roof but i'd have a sma to pl-259 adapter to the handheld, but a mount would be nice, I wonder if they make one?

Old 06-14-2013, 04:07 PM
BKCowGod
Professional

Honestly right now it sits in the transfer case boot most of the time. Once I get the battery eliminator, I will find someplace more permanent, but it is generally only used to communicate over MURS with other vehicles in my group (my dad and brother both have matching radios).

Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 PM
BKCowGod
Professional

Two thoughts:

1) I just looked at the build sheet and I have a 3.55 axle ratio... I always get this wrong, but that would mean lower RPM at high speed but slower acceleration off the line??? I run just under 2000rpm at 65mph.

2) After all the changes, I'm idling BEAUTIFULLY and smoothly... at an indicated 400rpm. IAC? TPS? BBQ?

Last edited by BKCowGod; 06-17-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my olds and my old 93 v8 ran at just under 2k at 65mph. both had 3.55 gearing.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:35 AM
BKCowGod
Professional

Thanks Shadow, sounds about right...

So here's today's quick project - getting ready for my camping trip next month and didn't feel like sleeping on hard metal. So I tossed together a quick sleeping platform with a cutout for my big box o' stuff, and then put three LED lights in the ceiling to make it all cozy and stuff. Luckily my girlfriend is short, so she'll fit in the cutout side

Total cost: $45, half of that my super fancy screws with the T-20 torx screwhead because I am incompetent with a philips bit on my drill

Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 AM
keilkravec
Veteran

3:55 is a good ratio, you still have a good bit of giddy-up in the accel department, but its not so low that it kills your mileage on highway from higher rpms

Old 07-01-2013, 01:24 AM
BKCowGod
Professional

So I just got back from a road trip down the coast and back up... Down was on CA-1, windy road with anywhere from 25-70mph stretches and lots of throttle position changes. Up was I-5. I literally set the cruise control at 70mph and hit the brakes once, when I had to pull off for steak at Harris Ranch. Averaged 18mpg for the entire trip combined. Not too shabby, but I know I can do better.

Today I installed 4-Pintle Ford Motorsports injectors (19lb). Terrified myself because the Dak ran like crap at first and wouldn't even idle. Then I remembered I had reset the computer. I drove (er... backfired) around the neighborhood a bit and it is almost completely cleared up now (12mi later). I have a stumble coming off idle if I open up the throttle too quickly, but otherwise all is well. I also noticed it is a LOT peppier. Some of that was certainly from replacing 150k original injectors, but whatever it is I am happy.

Next up - synthetic fluid in the diffs and the electric fan.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:32 AM
BKCowGod
Professional

A few more pictures from the trip because... well, I like pictures

Elephant Seals

Morro Rock

Pacific Ocean

Photo taken by my truck

Painted fender flares really make it look much cleaner

Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Soundguy