1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Hissing From Peddle and it's getting hard to depress

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 PM
paspeedmx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hissing From Peddle and it's getting hard to depress

As the title says, I have had a hissing sound from the break pedal since I bought the truck but it has got worse and the peddle is getting harder to depress. The resistance is pretty fierce about 30% of the way down then eases up after that, but it has always been a hard peddle.

After 30 or so "Brake" Threads I didn't see my answer.

Could I have a leak at the pedal, is that even possible ? Should I replace the brake booster ( had a shop tell me that was the problem). After reading those threads it made me think I could have a vacuum leak.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:55 PM
ricekiller
Rookie

your brake booster is leaking. the noise you hear is air sucking into where the booster has acquired a leak. and the less vacuum you have, the harder the brake pedal will feel. I would probably think about replacing it soon before you lose your vacuum assist altogether.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:15 PM
paspeedmx

Originally Posted by ricekiller
your brake booster is leaking. the noise you hear is air sucking into where the booster has acquired a leak. and the less vacuum you have, the harder the brake pedal will feel. I would probably think about replacing it soon before you lose your vacuum assist altogether.
Thanks, much appreciated. I pretty much came to that conclusion but its good to hear the same.

Thanks again

Old 06-30-2013, 09:05 AM
dodger8691
Professional

I had that happen on my Camaro only mine completely went while I was slamming on the brakes to avoid hitting some one who walked infront of me when it blew it slammed my knee into the steering wheel I had a bruise for about 2 weeks lol and a bent steering wheel

Old 07-01-2013, 08:52 AM
paspeedmx

^ yeah, luckily mine was gradual.

Changed the booster and master. Talk about a PITA. It's not a very technical job, but the mounting nut under the dash were a pain. Took about 2 hours to figure out how to get the top right off ! Funny thing, took me 10min. To get it back on.

Brakes are a little soft, need to bleed again. The wired thing is the brake position is different. It doesn't return all te way out to hit the brake light button. I had to add spacers so the brake lights don't stay on

Old 08-26-2013, 04:45 PM
ricekiller
Rookie

you should be able to pull the brake light switch off, pull it out all the way(carefully), then re-install it and just drive... should adjust itself.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 PM
paspeedmx

Yeah, I found that out pretty quick.

All you do to adjust it forward is to push/wiggle it and it moves forward. Has notches to keep it from going back to where you adjusted it from ( For people who didn't know)

Quick Reply: Hissing From Peddle and it's getting hard to depress