1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 3.9l automatic trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 01:53 AM
freekykatz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 3.9l automatic trans problem

I don't know alot about the dodge dakota trucks. Ok when i first start the truck and take it moves slow sounds like the engine is at high rpms and shifts hard. But after a few minutes it seems fine, what could this be?

Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 AM
kahanabob
Captain

the trans fluid has drained down inside the tranny and it takes a while for it to pump up and fill the torque converter. typical tired tranny. try letting it idle in N for a minute before you put it in D. might get it flushed and put in some additive..

Old 07-07-2013, 07:31 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

iam NOT a trans expert. but i have had happen is the oil filter inside the pan gets clogged. if its doing that it will not go into rev as good as fwd, this gives you the hint that the filter is clogged. cold weather makes it worse. put a new filter on. .all so i something that i get flamed a lot for i use 2-4 QTs of rear end grease in my tans. and last i have found an external filter. i think most chrysler trans have the return coolant line at the rear of the main case. but double check this is a cut and paste just live with it.
man o man i about forgot yes its a cut & past sorry. __________________
after you clean the trans. add this to your*chrysler*trans. an external fluid filter
1. go to auto-zone. get 2210, its called a power steering filter, but it is for transs to. it is for 3/8 tubing. by (magna-fine) be sure to use high pressure hose. Reff:http://www.magnafilter.com.au/magna-fine.html*
2. for other sizes wix 58964 5/16 tube size reff:http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlook...sionfilter.asp

Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 PM
freekykatz

Originally Posted by moe7404
iam NOT a trans expert. but i have had happen is the oil filter inside the pan gets clogged. if its doing that it will not go into rev as good as fwd, this gives you the hint that the filter is clogged. cold weather makes it worse. put a new filter on. .all so i something that i get flamed a lot for i use 2-4 QTs of rear end grease in my tans. and last i have found an external filter. i think most chrysler trans have the return coolant line at the rear of the main case. but double check this is a cut and paste just live with it.
man o man i about forgot yes its a cut & past sorry. __________________
after you clean the trans. add this to your*chrysler*trans. an external fluid filter
1. go to auto-zone. get 2210, its called a power steering filter, but it is for transs to. it is for 3/8 tubing. by (magna-fine) be sure to use high pressure hose. Reff:http://www.magnafilter.com.au/magna-fine.html*
2. for other sizes wix 58964 5/16 tube size reff:http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlook...sionfilter.asp
Those links go no where. Also how easy would it be to rebuild the trans, and where would i get detailed steps? Also what transmission would be in the 92 dakota 2 wheel drive 3.9l magnum?

Old 07-08-2013, 04:02 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

sorry about the urls. just type in brand name. or go to auto zone and ask for the PN 2210. thats how i found it. this seamed to work fore me. :http://www.magnafilter.com. i will GUESS your trans is a 42. as my 2001 V6 is. best ask an expert. if you do not have a extra trany cooler it is a good thing.. my 2001 came from the factory with one. it will be hard to mount steel lines for one, just be careful with high pressure hoses, that they dont rub that will cut the hose. do NOT use any thing but high pressure hose or steel lines. a good real parts house can get you the right hi pressure hoes.

Last edited by moe7404; 07-08-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 PM
freekykatz

I found a tranny from a 93 and a 90 are they the same tranny thats in my 92?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:38 AM
kahanabob
Captain

Also how easy would it be to rebuild the trans, and where would i get detailed steps?

very difficult if you have never done one. nix that idea!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:34 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

as i said iam NOT a trans expert. but i think some of the work inside need specl tools. i have heard people say they took most of the parts out and doing most of the work themselves. then taking the hard parts to a trany shop. one time a real expert told me how to do the clutches, you soak them in trany fluid over night. then put them in the drum and set the clearance to min factory spec. a co called Trans Go has the best hop up kits. al so i have heard that some chrysler fluid lines have a check valve that causes trouble, it needs to be removed.

Quick Reply: 92 3.9l automatic trans problem