1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Where can I find red headliner material?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 PM
1993dd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I find red headliner material?

I've gone to several stores in my area to find material and all that the stores carry is tan, black, and grey! I know red isn't very common, but somewhere there has got to be some. Anyone know of a site online or a place I could try to look? I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I did find some material that would be okay, it's a more lighter tone of red, but its like flannel and it stretches quite a bit. But it's an option if I can't find anything.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for upholstery shops in your area and check your yellow pages for automotive upholstery - between the 2, you should find what you want. If you look in fabric shops, you might find something that would look OK, but it won't be as heavy duty as what you'd want for a headliner. Alternatively, you can look on-line, the difficulty here is that it's harder to pick the color since what you see on your screen may not be exactly what the fabric looks like.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:51 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Years ago, I got a bunch of grey at the Fabric Outlet in Reno. Got enough to do three cars--and eventually used it all up. If you can't find the red, get a contrasting color like grey or black. The supplier in Reno sold me some cans of spray contact cement for headliners, too. It has to be heat resistant, btw, or eventually it will come loose.

It needs to be stretchy, btw, because it needs to form fit to the contours of the headliner carcass.

I guess I'd suggest you try an automotive upholstery shop. Probably could find a supplier in SLC, tho. Just ask the guys that do auto upholstery.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:05 AM
buddahboy357
Amateur

look on ebay i looked after i seen your thread and seen 4 or 5 shades of red

Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 PM
redragtop
Default red headliner

In Arkansas, I went to Hancock Fabrics. They had several different colors and had a red that was a close match. Definitely by the best spray adhesive you can find and prep your old headliner backing well.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:18 AM
jockjock
Amateur

Apparently at the junkyard I go to. There are currently 5 gen 1 daks there and 3 have red interiors...yuck. Don't think you want to drive to Canada for a headliner though...

Quick Reply: Where can I find red headliner material?