1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Hi Dodge people

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:40 PM
rojlouie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hi Dodge people

Hello who ever sees this, I've always been a Ford guy so this is my first Dodge truck a 1993 Dakota 4x4 V-8 ext cab, It's got a great running motor but the tranny went out on it when i towed a small trailer with it, So it still go's into (R) and (low) and I could never tell if the overdrive button was working of not, the rpm was stuck at the top. So what I real want to know is how hard is it to install a 1996 Durango Auto tranny into my 93 Dakota? I found one with transf case , wiring harness, and cpu for 200. So is it possible to get this job done without a huge amount of cash being spent? If not can anyone please fill me in on what all my options are and which one is the best way to go? maybe a 5speed manual? But I've heard that the tranny out of a newer truck is worth all the extra work to adapt the durango tranny into my truck? Thanks for anyones help

Old 07-11-2013, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

What year is the donor trans? Is your truck currently an auto?

Old 07-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rojlouie
So what I real want to know is how hard is it to install a 1996 Durango Auto tranny into my 93 Dakota?
Originally Posted by HeyYou
What year is the donor trans? Is your truck currently an auto?
I think it's a 96.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:02 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

durangos started in 97 or 98(with the new dakota body style) 96+ years have an electronic transmission whereas the 95- years have hydraulic. it can be done but it would require a lot of wire/sensor swapping along with the trans swap.

because your truck is obd1 and the new trans is obd2 you would either have to rewire the truck for obd2 or convert the newer trans to a hydraulic valve body(correct term?)

Old 07-12-2013, 06:46 AM
rojlouie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Dakota 4x4 auto overdrive tranny

,Good day Dodge world people thanks for your time and advise, I checked out the sevice manual today and Since I've still got R and low gear that i might get away with valvebody cleaning and or rebuild it? I woulkd really like to put a 5speed manual in it, but I 'll settle for an easy and cheap fix mainly so I can drive that little beast, I've got dump runs to make and cars to haul home, I[d would ove to find a great deal on a tow dolly close by which would be the
Seattle area So anyone know if what i reas is true and easy to do? I've got tools galore and I know how to use them as well, If i need a new one Ive been thinking about odering a master rebuild kit off of ebay and trying my first auto tranny rebuild,right ofter Im done welding on the new frontend on my Pt Cruiser. So any advise would be of help to me. How hard can it be to rebuild a tranny? as long as you dont skip any pages of the manual and follow it to the letter I should be able to pull it off ?

Old 07-12-2013, 07:32 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not sure how easy it is. the only one i did was still in my friends truck at the time and we only had to replace half of it.

Quick Reply: Hi Dodge people