1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Help! 88 Dakota voltage issues!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:03 PM
DetroitTurbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! 88 Dakota voltage issues!

Hey guys I have a 88 Dakota, 2.2 5-speed carb'd. Modifications are roller cam and a 32/36 weber carb. Everything else that matters is stock.

I replaced the alternator about 2 months ago, it worked fine until recently the voltage started pulsing between 14-16 volts at a constant speed, depending on how much power I am using. I replaced the voltage regulator, checked all of my grounds, ran new wires from the regulator to the alternator, nothing helps. Now I'm thinking it might be the alternator.

Any suggestions? I really need this thing fixed. I keep getting pulled over because my headlights pulse so fast at night, thankfully I haven't gotten a ticket... yet.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:59 PM
DetroitTurbo

Bump, no help?

Old 08-02-2013, 01:02 AM
rx7_dude2003
Professional

Could be the alternator.. Seems like u checked just about everything else. carb n rollor rockers wont cause that issue. Not sure what parts store u have by u but most parts stores do free testing on alternators such as auto zone, advance, napa. Also if it is the alternator it most likely still have a warranty most places is 1 year.. Good Luck

Old 08-15-2013, 03:52 PM
mb49321

Here is how you test the alternator on the vehicle

How to test your alternator on the vehicle:

To check to see if your alternator is working, unplug or remove the two field wires from the back of the alternator. Then ground one of the field terminals on the alternator and jumper the other field terminal to the positive battery post on the back of the alternator. It does not matter which terminal is grounded and which one get positive power. When you connect the ground and positive wires to the field terminals you will get a small spark, this is normal. This is by-passing the voltage control and will cause your alternator to run full blast, if it is working. Put a multi-meter on your battery and run your engine on high idle, do not allow your alternator to charge the battery much over 16 volts. If you find that your alternator is charging when you do this procedure, but does not charge when you connect it back to the computer, this kit will get your alternator working and charging at the proper voltage. The voltage regulator is preset at 14.5 volts. If you want to adjust the voltage regulator you use the screw on the back, but be sure the metal case of the voltage regulator is grounded while you adjust it.

Ref: Bing or google search QSERCK , ERCK, FRM, ERCKFRM

Quick Reply: Help! 88 Dakota voltage issues!