1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Steering play

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 04:19 AM
EvilSRT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering play

So I've got some play in the steering wheel on my '95 Dakota SLT. And by play I mean probably an inch where nothing happens. I've looked at the shaft and it doesn't appear to have any play so I'm guessing that it's in the rack and pinion. Is this a common problem with these 1st gen's?

Old 08-15-2013, 08:53 AM
cd36
Professional

What shift did you look at? The shift that goes from the steering wheel to the rack? Is yours 2wd? Check your tie rod ends jack up one side and see if there is any play in the tire side to side. Do that on both sides.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:42 AM
EvilSRT

Mine is 4wd and yes I just watched the shaft that goes from the steering wheel to the rack.

Thanks for the tie rod end suggestion. For some reason I didn't even think of that.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:37 AM
cd36
Professional

In 95 did the 4x4's get Rack and Pinion steering? My 91 has a gearbox/pitman arm setup. If yours is like that, then check the pitman arm and idler as well as the tie rod ends. This style of steering system though will have more slop in it than a rack and pinion, just due to the design.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by EvilSRT
Mine is 4wd and yes I just watched the shaft that goes from the steering wheel to the rack.

Thanks for the tie rod end suggestion. For some reason I didn't even think of that.
4wd doesn't have rack & pinion. It's an old fashioned pitman arm steering box. Hard to diagnose by wire, you'd probably do well to have an alignment shop have a look. Lots of shops will do the quick diagnosis for you for free, even if you do the work yourself, you'll end up needing an alignment.

It could be a worn out steering box, bad tierods, idler arm, or pitman arm, bad ball joints, or all of these.

Quick Reply: Steering play