1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Damaged rear diff question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:40 PM
cd36
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged rear diff question

So I'm looking around for a 9 1/4" rear diff to put in my truck. I found one from a 2000 Dodge Dakota that has 138,000km on it (85,000) miles, but the wrecker said there is a small piece of clutch in the housing. They wanted half as much for that rear diff though as all the good ones they have in Durango's (only advantage the durango rear axle has is it has larger brakes, but they wanted $500 for it vs. $250 for the one from the Dakota).

Now I am ok with rebuilding the LSD, or putting an aftermarket one in, and I plan on regearing it to 4.11 from its current 3.55. Just wondering, if there is a piece of clutch in the housing, is there a possibility of anything being damaged that isn't easily fixable? Or should I be good if I plan on putting in a new LSD and gears anyways? The only other thing I could really think of is if the bits of clutch damaged the bearings, but they are easily replaced as well.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Damaged rear diff question