1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1996 Dakota 2.5 performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:28 PM
thesquirrelbeast666
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Dakota 2.5 performance questions

I have a 1996 Dodge Dakota with a 2.5 with a 5 speed that I race and I am looking to get performance parts for it. There are these damn toyotas that are dominating and they need to be beat. I have beaten them once but other than that is a toyota show. Are there any way I can raise my horsepower any to help me against the toyotas?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2013, 11:01 AM
bigpete1125
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 94 2.5L Dakota all the research I've done shows the only real way to gain anything is to put a turbo on it. If you cannot based on the fact your racing it and I'm going to assume it's dirt like I almost did with mine in DE. Then you may want to look into boring out the block and adding bigger pistons to the motor and maybe try looking into a different head and cam as well. I put a head on mine off a shadow and different cam then my stock and it feels a little ballsier. Also did you take the restriction tube out of the stock intake or did you make a custom intake with a throttle body spacer that Airaid makes? That could help a little bit I know after I did you tap the gas and it wants to go. Hope this helps you out. If you find out anything else feel free to let me know as well.

Quick Reply: 1996 Dakota 2.5 performance questions