1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dak 5.2 CTS and PCM help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 02:31 AM
Spinner_57
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Dak 5.2 CTS and PCM help?

Hey everyone, my first post on this site.

I have a 1993 dak 5.2 auto 2 wheel drive with ballpark 146xxx km's on er. I had issues last week with a no crank on the truck. Thinking that it was a dead battery for some reason I boosted it with my quad and she started up, but idled a little funny. I let it run for about 20 min, then shut it off. Again it had to be boosted to start so I checked the alternator output. It was low, but was charging, so I took it off and had it tested. Ended up replacing it, and testing my battery. Even after the alternator replacement, my truck will not start without a boost, leading me to believe that my PCM/ECU is gone. Any thoughts or ideas?

Second off I have been having major issues with my cooling system. I noticed that my coolant guage would only slight move above "C" even after hours of driving. While I was taking my alternator off I decided to replace the CTS. Now it reads 3/4 hot even at first start up, and pegs to "H" after about 15 seconds of running. Is this from an electrical short in the wire?

Thanks guys, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to sort out the only 2 issues this truck has before I start messing around with giving it a little more power.