1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'96 Dodge Dakota Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:04 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

built it... the center grill guard is originally from a 80's style F-150 I cut up and welded on to the bumper I made for my winch...

uses square tubing for frame.. if you look you will find that post on forums somewere before it was covered with diamond plate anyway .. have a 9500lbs winch hidden in there that is COMPLETELY wirelessly controlled.. also had wired handheld aswell ..
the jack is mounted with lugnuts.. yes lugnuts that happen to be same size as ones used on truck:O

reason I posted this pic is to show the truck height.. no bodylift yet. but looks like Dodge Girl is good at fabricating. so might give so idea's aswell....

and yes all lights are functional, and local hydro company bills me by the hour for power consumption :O

Old 10-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done disk conversions on my Jeep and my Blazer, but I'm still running drum brakes on my Dakota. The disk brakes didn't really add much stopping power, IMO, but they reduced complexity and unsprung weight. For the Jeep, I bought a kit for like $600, which I'm not sure I would do again. For the Blazer, I pieced it all together myself and saved a boatload of money. It ended up being cheaper than doing a complete drum brake job.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:29 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom A
I've done disk conversions on my Jeep and my Blazer, but I'm still running drum brakes on my Dakota. The disk brakes didn't really add much stopping power, IMO, but they reduced complexity and unsprung weight. For the Jeep, I bought a kit for like $600, which I'm not sure I would do again. For the Blazer, I pieced it all together myself and saved a boatload of money. It ended up being cheaper than doing a complete drum brake job.
try a snow storm when plows get stuck..lol I hit break front lock up and rear keep powering on... specially with the posi it had kinda sucked .. now with 4x4 honestly I just use the 4x4 in bad weather so it brakes at driveline for rear kinda thing ..

ANYWAY Dodge Girl keep us pictured up .. if I find a front solid axle il be going that route but I need another vehicle first :O wife hates it when I borrow the G6... but meh

Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 92DakotaClub
try a snow storm when plows get stuck..lol I hit break front lock up and rear keep powering on... specially with the posi it had kinda sucked .. now with 4x4 honestly I just use the 4x4 in bad weather so it brakes at driveline for rear kinda thing ..
FWIW, the drum brakes I'm running on the rear of my Dakota are the ones that came on the 14-bolt Chevy rear axle I'm also running. They're not lacking braking power.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Cooreman
Veteran

'96 Dodge Dakota Overhaul-image-3047773604.jpg

Finally found out how to post photos! Here is a 6 inch lift ahah

Old 10-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Looks pretty sweet. You don't see a lot of first gens with suspension lifts.

Quick Reply: '96 Dodge Dakota Overhaul