1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Oil exploded in bed :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:18 AM
daksnbeers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil exploded in bed :(

So I've been changing everyones oil in my family, I know hold your applause i'm too nice lol. Well anyway I bought this kind of cheap oil pan from walmart for like 8 bucks and kind of regret it. The cap on the spout decided it didn't want to be on anymore and well from the time I drove from my house to the nearest autopart store to take the oil in to recycle I got about 13 quarts of oil in my bed and all over the road. Of course I didn't realize the cap came off till I got to the auto part store. Needless to say the cap is now on with half a role of duct tape and has a rubber garden hose washer in it so it doesn't leak.

Well I guess tomorrow I get to empty my tool box and remove it and my tie downs in the rear so I can remove and clean my bedliner and all the oil that got underneath it out of my bed. Good thing auto part stores sell degreaser and shop rags. Might break out the pressure washer for this one.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:53 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

atleast you dont have to get rid of all that oil now haha.

one time i was backing out of my garage and i noticed a red trail of liquid following my truck. my trans cooling line broke and it didnt click till i was in the middle of the road(my driveway is an upward hill). but i learned that dawn dish soap, a broom, and a garden hose removes trans fluid easier

Old 10-16-2013, 01:35 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Dish soap is your best bet for removing grease. oil etc. It is designed for exactly that purpose, well cooking oil but oil none the less. It also works well on your hands when they are greasy.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:12 AM
Spinner_57

Grab some engine de-greaser and power wash the hell out of it. Works wonders on the old diesel engines I wrench on at work.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:56 AM
clipper77
Veteran

Simple Green is good stuff for removing oil/diesel as well.

Quick Reply: Oil exploded in bed :(