1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

87 Dak with High Idle at StartUp......

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Ihrugby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Dak with High Idle at StartUp......

Hey Guys.........Got an early 87 model with no frills and whistles but it runs like a Banchee, after a couple minutes of warming up and have to hit the pedal a few times, untill it releases and sets at 750 perfect idle. Should this take this long to warmup and run with a racing idle around 1250 rpms? Everything is orginal, including the 2-barrel Carb. Rebuilt the whole top end after 225k and I have 374k on it now. I think I need new ball joints, but you got to be carefull when closing the door, sounds like a tin can, and got old retro whitewall 15" tires on it.........I probably should post a few pics in the other section of the forum. Used to have my own version of this truck but it was a later 87 Model and had all the extras they gave back then........TIA

Old 11-01-2013, 01:22 PM
Ihrugby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Dakota Racing Idle till Warmed Up

Sorry Guys forgot to give all info it's a 3.9 Liter engine with all original stock parts........and components.....

Old 11-01-2013, 06:25 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

Take the air cleaner off and give the carb a good going over with carb cleaner. If that don;t work try doing a carb kit. Oh yea look for vacuum leaks.

Quick Reply: 87 Dak with High Idle at StartUp......