1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Special tools for timing belt & rear oil seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 04:07 PM
dspenc79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special tools for timing belt & rear oil seal

I have a 1988 Dakota. I need to replace the timing belt and rear crankshaft oil seal but cannot rent the special tools for the job. It sounds like something I could do on my own if I had the tools or knew if something else would work in their place. Anyone have a suggestion ?

Old 11-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Cooreman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't rent it buy it

Old 11-03-2013, 12:13 PM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I imagine you are talking about the 2.5 engine. You need to provide more information when asking a question. The only special tool you need is the timing belt tensioner tool: http://www.thedodgegarage.com/tools.html

The reason you need this is to get the proper tension on the belt. Too much tension and the belt tries to walk off the gears. Not enough tension and the belt will walk inward off the gears or jump a couple of teeth. You can try different tensions by adjusting the belt and then starting it to see where it rides. If it walks away from the engine it's too tight, if it walks towards the engine it's too loose. It should ride right in the middle.

As far as doing the rear main seal, I just pop it out with a screw driver and tap the new one in with a hammer and punch. Be careful not to tap it in too far. There is not a stop for the seal so you can tap it in too far. Make note of where the old one sits. It should be flush with the rear main seal retainer.

Quick Reply: Special tools for timing belt & rear oil seal