1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

What is necessary for a suspension lift?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 PM
ztorpy32
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is necessary for a suspension lift?

I drive a 96 Dakota 4x4 with a 318. The previous owner fitted it with a 4 inch body lift and 31 inch bfg all terrains. I don't like the way the body lift looks with the chassis hanging down and I am looking into a suspension lift to replace it. What would I need to buy and how much money would it take to put at least a 4 inch suspension lift on?

Old 11-21-2013, 07:25 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bout 1700 US dolla and a lot of arm power.. for the kit if u can still source it.. its in the faq's area with link...

I did some modding to my torsion keys and managed to get 3.5 inches front with smaller bump stops but I have almost no down travel and real rough ride, also added 4 in rear to level out and leave slight lift in rear then added 2 inch body lift and I run 33/14R15's on 99 Durango 15x8 rims which I had to mod brakes bolt to fit right you can find a picture on here easaily of my current truck.. (nov 11th last pic)

also why is there 4 inch body lift for 31? a torsion bar tighten up would fit em, no problems

Old 11-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Cooreman
Veteran

I have a 6inch lift with a torsion key drop bracket and the 4 inch trail master with unfortunately a 6inch block on the rear ( will change that one day)

Old 11-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooreman
I have a 6inch lift with a torsion key drop bracket and the 4 inch trail master with unfortunately a 6inch block on the rear ( will change that one day)
A shackle flip in the rear is pretty easy to do and not very expensive. It won't give you six inches of lift, but four inches is a pretty reasonable expectation and that would get your blocks down to a less ridiculous height.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Cooreman
Veteran

I'll have to look into that. Just need a couple of days where I don't need my wheels. I'm also considering to slip some add a leafs in. ( maybe even buy new leafs... Probably give me some sort of lift instead of my old bagged ones ahah) oh and just a note you need rims that have a pretty decen offset on then to run the suspension lift the stock ones don't fit

Old 11-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooreman
I'll have to look into that. Just need a couple of days where I don't need my wheels. I'm also considering to slip some add a leafs in. ( maybe even buy new leafs... Probably give me some sort of lift instead of my old bagged ones ahah)
When I did my shackle flip, I used stock Ramcharger rear leaf springs (paid 20 bucks on craigslist) and stock Ford Ranger spring hangers (18 bucks apiece on Rock Auto), then I bought some Bell Tech shackles (most expensive part of the project at about 60 bucks). The whole job took maybe 4 hours, including taking the bed off and putting it back on.

I realize yours is a first gen and mine's a second gen, but your experience should probably be similar.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Cooreman
Veteran

Yeah I'll have to do some research thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: What is necessary for a suspension lift?