1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Double check on fuel overflow.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Reesey
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double check on fuel overflow.....

So here is the issue at hand for my '91 dodge Dakota. Gas gauge always reads full, and I know all the problems that could cause this. Bad gauge, float is stuck, bad ground. What I do to avoid running out is put in $10 every 30-40 miles until it is full. Then I know I get at least 200 miles to a tank. The problem is that when it reaches full I only know because gas will pour out on the ground. It comes from under the truck. Not the top of the filler neck. I assume this is due to a bad filler neck hookup to the tank. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Reesey; 12-20-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:24 PM
daksnbeers
Professional

Theres a write up on fixing the issue on here somewhere. It was featured as thread of the week not to long ago.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Reesey
Amateur

Originally Posted by daksnbeers
Theres a write up on fixing the issue on here somewhere. It was featured as thread of the week not to long ago.
Thank you.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Reesey
Amateur

Okay. So I have searched for this write up for about an hour now and no luck. I did find the one in the faq by mastertech about filling problems but none of them are mine.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Reesey
Amateur

Decided I would just get some combustion dye and add it the next time I fill the tank. Then check for the leak with yellow shades and a UV light.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Am I missing something here? If fuel is pouring out on the ground, it seems like it would be pretty easy to identify the source of the leak without the dye and UV light.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Reesey
Amateur

I cant tell if its coming from the pump cap or the fillerneck unless I set the gas pump to fill on its own and half climb under the truck. Just trying to avoid leaving a massive puddle of gas on the ground at the pump is all. Didn't know if this was posted any where else or if this problem has been answered else where. Especially when someone said there was a write up about it on here. Led me to believe there was something I was missing. That's all.

Quick Reply: Double check on fuel overflow.....