1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Headlight lens renewing

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Hansm14
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight lens renewing

Can you make the plastic headlight covers clear again? Do the renew kits actually work? How often do you you need to renew? I noticed the lens on my covers are getting pretty cloudy. Like my visibility is not as good as it could be. I don't want to scratch the lens more than they already are. 94 Dakota SLT 4x4.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Try toothpaste first. Rub it in with a dry rag, then wash it off. Lots of people (me included) have had good luck with that, but it doesn't work for everybody.

Everybody I've known who used a "real" kit was happy with the results, but I would try the cheap method first.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

The renew kits DO work, pretty well even. About $20 at Walmart.

Alternatively, you can have the polishing done, at Walmart, for about $35.

And the third alternative is to buy new headlights, price varies, on EBay. Probably the best way to go if your lights are like mine and kinda messed up in the reflectors.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:02 AM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Works on the acrylic bug guards also. I've used toothpaste, non-abrasive polishing compound, and Turtle Wax Head Light restore. The worse the haze is the more involved you become. IMO they are all a continual deal. Doesn't last forever. Beats buying new assemblies though.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by Daves69
IMO they are all a continual deal. Doesn't last forever. Beats buying new assemblies though.
Yes it is, no they don't, and maybe it does.

If your headlite lenses are badly pitted, it's gonna be a real pain to try to get them good again, tho. My time's worth something, and this isn't a fixin' job that I consider theraputic. So on a yearly basis, I touch them up. Maybe someday, I'll pony up the $110 or so for a new set.

I got some of those pattern taillight replacements on Ebay, btw. So nice! And the fit was right on. Wouldn't mind doing the tailgate brake light.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:01 PM
InsaneIncipience

The best way without buying new lights is to wet-sand and buff them. The oxidation is mostly on the outside anyways. You can do it yourself pretty easily or a good body shop can do it for you fairly cheap.

Quick Reply: Headlight lens renewing