1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Spitting and sputtering plus code 22

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Reesey
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spitting and sputtering plus code 22

I have a 92 dodge dakota 3.9 v6 which recently had overheating issues. The issue has been fixed.

I put a tune up on it:

plugs
wires
cap
rotor
fuel filter
oil change
pcv
aic
brakes all around
air filter

Now when I get up to highway speed and get on the gas it will spit and sputter slightly. I checked the flash codes and got 12, 22, and as always 55(end codes).

I believe that the code 22 is due to me unhooking the wires when removing the thermostat without knowing it and starting the truck. Idled funny before I realized what happened. Idled real high, real low, real high, etc... Plugged it back in and no problems. Just havent reset the codes yet.

12 is battery has been unhooked within the last 50 starts.

What could be causing the spitting and sputtering??? Could it be lines arent tight enough around the fuel filter? Plug wires got mixed up? Rotor not positioned right?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Reesey; 01-11-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:20 PM
Reesey
Amateur

Just went out to reset the codes and noticed that one of my plug wires was not on all the way. Most likely the cause of the spitting and sputtering. Will post back if that didnt fix it.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:17 PM
IOWASTROKER
Default fuel filters???

A partially plugged fuel filter with create this same thing. Let us know pls.)

Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Reesey
Amateur

Just replaced the fuel filter. It is still happening and I can hear an audible crackle from one of the plugs(cant narrow down which one), so I am going to remove them all and re-gap them. Add more dielectric grease or whatever and re align the wires on the dizzy.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Reesey
Amateur

Gaped and replaced. Still happening. One other note, only does it at odd times and after up to running temp.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Reesey
Amateur

Okay, so I awoke this morning and went out to start the truck. I found that I am getting intermittent exhaust(its cold here so I can see it). It will be real low, then normal, then none and the entire truck shakes. Could it be from a clogged cat?

Went thru the entire ignition again and the rotor has about 1/4 inch of play in it. Printed out plug to cap diagram and followed exactly.

It idles rough, and on take off from stop sign and such. When it is parked and I get on the gas a couple times revving the engine there is no problem except when rpms come down. I get a little backfire then. I am at a loss here. Thought maybe clogged cat or muffler?? When at idle it seems quieter but I get small bursts or what sounds like a small rev.

Last edited by Reesey; 01-12-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:58 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reesey
Okay, so I awoke this morning and went out to start the truck. I found that I am getting intermittent exhaust(its cold here so I can see it). It will be real low, then normal, then none and the entire truck shakes. Could it be from a clogged cat?

Went thru the entire ignition again and the rotor has about 1/4 inch of play in it. Printed out plug to cap diagram and followed exactly.

It idles rough, and on take off from stop sign and such. When it is parked and I get on the gas a couple times revving the engine there is no problem except when rpms come down. I get a little backfire then. I am at a loss here. Thought maybe clogged cat or muffler?? When at idle it seems quieter but I get small bursts or what sounds like a small rev.
You could have a clogged cat, you should have a fairly smoothly pulsing exhaust at idle and a reasonably steady pressure at higher rpm. If you can disconnect the cat easily, I would do that and see how it responds.

On an OBD1 engine, the distributor shouldn't move externally. Once it's installed properly, it should be bolted down solid - there should be a bolt and clamp holding it to the block. Any motion will change the timing and would make it run poorly.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Reesey
Amateur

Got it all figured out. The plug in #6 cylinder was cracked. Seen it arcing last night. Changed it and its all good now. Thanks

Quick Reply: Spitting and sputtering plus code 22