1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

02 sensor Code 21 blues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 03:55 PM
xxgrizzlybearxx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 sensor Code 21 blues

Hi all,
I didn't see an "introduce yourself" section, or I'm just blind. So, HELLO! I'm Josh.
I have a 96 single sab super ugly purple dakota v-6 magnum. Picked her up for free from a friend that didn't want it after it sat two years... been replacing parts. she runs well, but I am having code 21/p0132 issues that are driving me nuts. (02 circut high Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1 (only 2 sensors on this one btw not a cali model etc.)

I have tested the cat by temp pre and post and she's good by about 100 degree more post at idle and operating temp, I haven't checked the FPR yet, but here's my issue...
The rear 02 went on fine, no issues, the front.. was spliced and crimped about 6 inches from the sensor.
I've traced the wiring loom and it continues up to just one plug withe 5 wires I believe? I could not for the life of me track down the OEM plug
for the upstream 02.
The wires were grey/black/two white for both. So I matched them up (cutting my direct fit to do so.. ugh Praying that was correct)
I did turn the motor on with the 02 unplugged and the heater element was slowly warming up, but that's just the white wires I believe.

Questionoes black go to black on the wires? or do I swap up black/grey?
I ask because I couldn't find a color reference for the stock wires and searching at work I can only dig so much.. haha
I'm worried I may have to go to the junk yard and grab a whole new harness given the splice being so close to the
sensor...(letting the wires "breathe" and all)

And yes.. it's a Bosch, which I've read a few people post to only run NKG in these.

I plan on checking the wires where they are crimped again.
What do you guys think by best options are here?

If I clear the PCM, it'll run fine and smooth until it hits closed loop and reads the 02, then it just runs a little rougher, and I'm definitely seeing a mileage result.

I wan tto run this girl with no codes, that'd be great

Thank you in advance guys. I've learned a ton on this board. I always swore by my German cars but for some reason I love this lil truck.

Quick Reply: 02 sensor Code 21 blues