1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Help ! Rodents ate my wiring harness 1996 Dakota 318V8

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 09:29 AM
dm06dak4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ! Rodents ate my wiring harness 1996 Dakota 318V8

I have 2 Dakotas, my daily driver 06 Quad Cab Laramie 4X4, and the '96 Club Cab SLT 2WD, which I have had since new. The '96 was parked and covered for about a month, which apparently made it an ideal spot for some kind of rodents to build a nest on the engine block, chewing out the hood insulation and parts of the wiring harness in the process. They also left about 20 pounds of chewed out acorn hulls, so I am thinking it may have been squirrels or chipmunks. Just different forms of rats.

I have done some internet searching, but have not come up with a supplier for replacement wiring harnesses. Is there a Mopar rebuilder out there that might have these ready made, or could make them up ? I have not called the dealership yet, as I am assuming if they have them they'll probably charge more than the truck is worth.

I am hopeful that the fact it is the 318 V8 will increase my odds of finding the harness available.

The primary segments I need are the ones connecting to the top of the block - fuel injection, etc. The chewed spots around the periphery of the engine bay were minor and can probably be patched.

There will be rat poison left all around this truck when I get it back.
#!^% varmints...

Old 03-19-2014, 11:24 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by dm06dak4x4
I have 2 Dakotas, my daily driver 06 Quad Cab Laramie 4X4, and the '96 Club Cab SLT 2WD, which I have had since new. The '96 was parked and covered for about a month, which apparently made it an ideal spot for some kind of rodents to build a nest on the engine block, chewing out the hood insulation and parts of the wiring harness in the process. They also left about 20 pounds of chewed out acorn hulls, so I am thinking it may have been squirrels or chipmunks. Just different forms of rats.

I have done some internet searching, but have not come up with a supplier for replacement wiring harnesses. Is there a Mopar rebuilder out there that might have these ready made, or could make them up ? I have not called the dealership yet, as I am assuming if they have them they'll probably charge more than the truck is worth.

I am hopeful that the fact it is the 318 V8 will increase my odds of finding the harness available.

The primary segments I need are the ones connecting to the top of the block - fuel injection, etc. The chewed spots around the periphery of the engine bay were minor and can probably be patched.

There will be rat poison left all around this truck when I get it back.
#!^% varmints...
You would do better finding one at a wrecking yard. Maybe around Atlanta?

Good news is that it's OBD2, bad news is that pre-96 isn't likely to work. You may be able to find something in a 97 or 98 that can be adapted.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this happen with both my Dakotas. I wasn't worried when I found it the first time, because I had the 2nd parts truck. Surprise.... the damn squirrels got to the part' truck's harness too. Both times were, in the same location, on the top of the engine
I've been told to use mothballs to prevent it. Not sure how well they work.

What Brian suggests is your best best.

I couldn't find a 90 harness, but did find one from an 89.
While the harnesses you find at wreckers are sometimes hacked up, I got lucky and the 89 harness was intact.
Unfortunately the connectors between the engine harness and the rear harness are different between those years, so i had to swap/resolder the connectors, and a few other minor changes.
I believe there are wiring schematics and possibly service manuals with wiring info in the FAQ thread for your truck.

cross your fingers and start calling your friendly neighbourhood auto wrecker.
worst case try www.car-part.com. Its site that allows you to search and email a bunch of auto wreckers all over Norht America.

Last edited by RobertMc; 03-19-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:00 PM
Rid-A-Rat
Former Vendor
Smile Rid-A-Rat

Hello from Rid-A-Rat!
Are you having issues with rats chewing on your expensive wires?? We have a solution for that very problem. We have created a device which after being installed, will keep any kind of chewing critter out of your engine area. You simply read the directions and install!
The product is guaranteed money back with no questions asked! Why not give us a call- 480-488-6820 or check out our web page at Rid-A-Rat.com.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:41 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

edit: oops this is 4 years old. nevbermined

I have a mostly complete harness from what I was told is a 1994 van 318. However it has completely different PCM connectors which makes me think it might be OBD2. It's definitely different than my 318 Dakota harness anyway.

heres a terrible picture. I'll take some pics closer up probably tomorrow.

Last edited by tbugden; 10-18-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Help ! Rodents ate my wiring harness 1996 Dakota 318V8