1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

2wd to 4wd solid axle swap parts list

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you sure you need a SAS? Most will do it for lift and/or increase drivetrain strength. For me it was to increase the drivetrain strength after killing the front ring and pinion too many times.

Sand is not too bad, especially if your keeping it 33's and under. You will be fine, rock crawling is possible to on a stock ifs setup. What kills parts is oversize tires too much horsepower and a heavy foot.

If you truly want 4wd I would suggest to do a frame swap from a 4x4 Dakota with the same body style and engine as yours. That is what I did, see my post in the FAQ2 in this section.

But if your dead set on a SAS, I'm sorry but there is no kit for a direct bolt on SAS. There WILL be cutting and welding to the frame. There is NO way around it. It will have to be custom made and setup.

As for a parts list here is a start.

Front Axle
Rear Axle (if you want the bolt pattern to match)
Universal 4 link kit (google where to buy one, I don't know)
Once it is installed then you'll need custom built (BY A SHOP) driveshafts Front and Rear.
Springs, size depends on your setup.
Shocks, size depends on your setup.
Probably extra tubes and steal plates to use as brackets and gussets and cross members, where depends on your setup.

I am not trying to discourage you, just think deep on your purpose and desire for this project. It is not for the faint of heart, I spent roughly $2,500 to do all the work myself and it took over 6 months.

If you did all the work yourself expect to pay $2,000 - $5,000
If you paid a shop or someone else to do the work $10,000 up.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:28 PM
nokool61
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Are you sure you need a SAS? Most will do it for lift and/or increase drivetrain strength. For me it was to increase the drivetrain strength after killing the front ring and pinion too many times.

Sand is not too bad, especially if your keeping it 33's and under. You will be fine, rock crawling is possible to on a stock ifs setup. What kills parts is oversize tires too much horsepower and a heavy foot.

If you truly want 4wd I would suggest to do a frame swap from a 4x4 Dakota with the same body style and engine as yours. That is what I did, see my post in the FAQ2 in this section.

But if your dead set on a SAS, I'm sorry but there is no kit for a direct bolt on SAS. There WILL be cutting and welding to the frame. There is NO way around it. It will have to be custom made and setup.

As for a parts list here is a start.

Front Axle
Rear Axle (if you want the bolt pattern to match)
Universal 4 link kit (google where to buy one, I don't know)
Once it is installed then you'll need custom built (BY A SHOP) driveshafts Front and Rear.
Springs, size depends on your setup.
Shocks, size depends on your setup.
Probably extra tubes and steal plates to use as brackets and gussets and cross members, where depends on your setup.

I am not trying to discourage you, just think deep on your purpose and desire for this project. It is not for the faint of heart, I spent roughly $2,500 to do all the work myself and it took over 6 months.

If you did all the work yourself expect to pay $2,000 - $5,000
If you paid a shop or someone else to do the work $10,000 up.
i would love to do a frame or body swap, however i cant find any 4x4 dakotas down here. ive only found one and the guy wont part ways with it. i have the front axle install planed, i just need to figure out how to mount the shock, springs to the truck and figure out the steering. ive found alot of universal 4-link kits ranging from 2-$500. as for metal ive got plenty of access to steel plate and tube and i have a shop and welders. i dont plan on adding bigger tires just wider. *** for beefing up the suspension ive stiffened up the rear springs and added wight but its still no good in sift sand...
'
as for the project as a whole im not going to tackle it all at once. i want to get the front axle installed to where its set up properly and derivable, from there ill take a brake and start getting drive shafts made and planing the rest

Old 04-02-2014, 10:11 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thing is you cant.. once u start thats it... its parked till done cause front will be 5-6 inces higher at a minimum to clear oilpan ...

Old 04-03-2014, 06:35 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So you plan on swapping in a front diff an start driving.
Then later lift the back to match after you've made driveshafts.
Then install a new transmission and transfer case.
Then new driveshafts again.
This isn't going to work your way.

Body off. Driveline removed. Frame and suspension altered massively. New driveline installed. New driveshafts designed. Steering altered massively. Brakes altered. Body reinstalled. Everything else that's left over to do.

Plan on you've got lots of money and time.
Buy a second vehicle now because this one WILL be parked a long time.

Its doable though.
But not like your saying.

Quick Reply: 2wd to 4wd solid axle swap parts list