1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

3.9 LA (Pre-Mag) Mods Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:30 PM
90dakotaconvertible
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9 LA (Pre-Mag) Mods Revisited

Okay, so it's been a while and I got my truck running better but, I am wanting a little more power. My truck is a 2wd convertible with 215/75/15 tires, automatic transmission, 3.90.1 gears. It is a 1990 with 95k miles on it. I also wanted to mention I do not have a clutch fan on my truck but, just a regular style fan. That being said here is a list of things I have done:

New NGK Spark Plugs
New distributor pickup, NAPA Echlin CAP & Rotor
MSD Streetfire Wires
NAPA Coil
Magnaflow High Flow Converter 2.5" with factory Y-pipe
Magnaflow Catback 2.5" (Was on truck when purchased)

Here's is a list I am torn about without tearing into the motor:

Edelbrock Headers?
Magnaflow Y-pipe?
5.2 throttle body?
Open Element Air Cleaner 14"

So, the question is I already have the 14" Air cleaner but, I am wondering if there would be any gain if I installed it on the truck over the factory setup? The other thing is the headers and the throttle body. Is the 5.2 TBI the bigger cfm wise than the 3.9 TBI throttle body? Also, would a bigger Y-pipe show any gains or should I do headers or both or just stay as is with the exhaust setup? I already have a high flow cat and noticed it woke up the truck some. If none of these will help, then I'll have to consider some future options but, just looking to hop up the V6 without breaking the bank. TIA.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 PM
floridamtbiker99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good questions..I have 1989 Convertible Dakota with the same questions.

Quick Reply: 3.9 LA (Pre-Mag) Mods Revisited