1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 dodge dakota snorkel and stack

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 07:38 PM
cloomis555
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 dodge dakota snorkel and stack

Hey yall, Ive looked into all the threads involving snorkels and I feel like no one has done one. I have a 93 dodge Dakota 3.9 v6. I go through some serious "puddles". Its strictly my mud/project/play truck so I don't care about gas etc. I also don't wanna throw to much money into it. I know I can make a snorkel relatively easy, but does anyone have any experience doing a stack on this truck. I want the luxury of being able to park it in a puddle and not worry about keeping the back pressure up. If anyone has any experience of doing a stack or a snorkel let me know. Thanks

Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/p...oject1525.html

can make one if your good with fabricating

you can also dig one from a earlier dakota/durango oe even a ram with some modification... im gettign one from scrap year off a older 92 ram, not sure if its originally for it or a modded from another vehicle but 318 and my 318 make engine part perfect match ... (i swamped my truck twice in the water and i tell you pulling plugs out to get water out in the water sucks **** )

Old 04-03-2014, 09:50 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

My ferd had a stack on it when I got it. It was pretty much just a pipe running off the y pipe with a 90* bend upward into the bed. Then the p.o. put a glass pack on it then slipped a chrome pipe over it.

I would recommend not putting the chrome stack over the pipe though (as in set on it like my ford had) because it will turn around with the vibration of the truck and will blow into the cab(like mine did).

Old 04-04-2014, 06:32 PM
cloomis555

I aint bad at fabricating myself but ill deffinitally do it with PVC before fiberglass. Haha. ALOT cheaper that way. Fiber glass can get expensive. And what ill probably do is like shadow said, just do a 90 degree upward bend and have it come out the bed right next to the cab. Just sucks I wont be able to put a toolbox in. The previous owner did put a glass pack on so that noise will suck right behind my window but oh well. I don't hardly ever drive it haha

Old 04-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Cooreman
Veteran

You know where the blower motor resistor is? Take that our move it 2 inches over stick your existing air tube up there. Very easy o build a snorkel with the intake pick up right there. You don't need to keep the stock air box and what not but it's just easier to picture. If you can water proof the old air box then hell that's some cash in your pocket

Old 04-08-2014, 12:42 PM
cloomis555

Good to know! Ill look into that for sure. Ill probably snorkel it this weekend when I have time. I need to hose down the engine compartment and clean up some mud.

LOOKING FOR INPUT, I know the basics of what I should seal up but if I could just get some input of what yall recommend I should seal up all around the truck while I have it in the garage and and doing the snorkel and probably the stack while im at it, what all should I seal up to keep watertight because I plan on SWAMPING this thing. Also im thinking about ripping out all the carpet and rhino lining the floor and putting some drain plugs.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:03 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

There's already drain plugs in the floor under the carpet.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 PM
cloomis555

Figured id throw this up here. I made my snorkel and just finished til I paint and mount it more official. Heres some pictures,

Attached Thumbnails 93 dodge dakota snorkel and stack-img_1209-1-.jpg   93 dodge dakota snorkel and stack-img_1208-1-.jpg  
Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 PM
cloomis555

I still gotta do the stack this weekend but for the snorkel its almost done just for paint and to seal everything up a little better. I just used 3" pvc with a few 90's and a 45. used the stock airbox cause im to cheap lol. Just sealed it all up and used some sealant down on the oring around the throttle body.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:35 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran stacks. Loved them. But loud.
Twin 4". 360, headers, 2 1/2" pipe, blue bottle glass packs, 90` into the stacks.
Only issue I really had was I could no longer open my rear window. Exhaust would come in and it was way too loud.

I hope 3" doesn't cause too much airflow restriction for you. Long pipe, bends, etc cause plenty of restriction. You could be "Choking" and not realize.

You can still put a toolbox. Just a few inches farther back or custom the corners for the pipe to clear.

Quick Reply: 93 dodge dakota snorkel and stack