1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Overdrive and Cruise Control Troubleshooting In Progress

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overdrive and Cruise Control Troubleshooting In Progress

Hey folks,

My 92 started throwing code 15 (distance/speed sensor) and would not shift into overdrive when I got onto the freeway to come home on Saturday night. Had to bring her all the way home in 3rd gear doing 3000rpm. No overdrive, no cruise control.

The next day my dad needed me to help him haul some furniture, so I clenched my teeth and hoped I wouldn't destroy anything driving around without 4th gear. On the trip out to pick up the stuff, no overdrive, no cruise control. Same problems on the trip home, but no check engine light. Don't know why the light wasn't coming on anymore. Something was obviously still wrong but it wasn't meeting the criteria in the computer to trip the light. I ordered a new VSS, figuring that's what it had to be if I could get neither overdrive nor cruise control.

I installed the VSS this morning and took it out around the neighborhood for a quick test drive. I had a working speedometer, so I know I had a good install on the new VSS, but still no cruise control. I didn't get it up to freeway speed in the residential streets, so I can't speak to whether or not the overdrive functions. Ran out of time, so I gave up and drove my GTO to work.

I am hoping you guys aren't going to tell me I've got wiring harness problems or something, and that I wasted a bunch of cash on a new VSS. Please don't tell me i've got wiring harness problems. I might just have an aneurism.

What do you folks think?

Old 04-08-2014, 04:31 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

And... as i sit here, I wonder if I actually made it above 35 mph when I tried to kick on the cruise control... I think I was right on the borderline. That's going to bother me the rest of the day until I make it home. Won't be able to concentrate at my desk thinking about this crap.

I should have just gone down where I could pick up 45mph safely to test it out. But, again, I was running out of time to test it before needing to go to work.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:37 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

Yeah, I'm an idiot. The new VSS works just fine.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DukeDomB
Won't be able to concentrate at my desk thinking about this crap.
LOL ! Been there...

Old 04-09-2014, 10:34 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea well i just went through this.. trust me, new vss new TPS , redid a few grounds, tested tranny with a manual control trigger box to manually engage OD and TCC , new plugs new wires, new cap/rotor, new coil , new O2 sensor (got it free so why not) truck is back to normal , only has 138000km's/ 85000 miles? roughly.. and averaging 16mpg right now and its nice being able to peel out with 33's lol

Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

Ok, well, one VSS and one TPS later, both the cruise and the OD are functioning, but the cruise control intermittently blips the throttle at freeway speed. It feels like someone is tapping the gas for a split second and letting off. I put the TPS in because I thought it would fix this and I had seen a TPS overvoltage code show up one night, though it didn't return. Seems to have slightly smoothed out the shifting, but the new TPS did not help the cruise control "flutter" or "surge" or whatever one would call it.

Any ideas? Wiring harness issues? Please don't tell me it's wiring harness issues. Hahah. And please don't say SBEC.

The thing seems to run fine when not in cruise control, but perhaps could benefit from a trans throttle cable adjustment. Seems to upshift with too little throttle.

Last edited by DukeDomB; 04-22-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Overdrive and Cruise Control Troubleshooting In Progress