1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

89 no spark seems no one knows!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 10:06 AM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok so i love reading some of peoples responces. parts have manufactor life lines, check the firing order when we have no spark from the coil, pcms being legend. wow. i have read a lot and this tread takes the cake.

as for changing the pcm i would agree that it will have fixed it for now. you need to find whats causeing the stress on the pcm to have it burn out as it did. the ground controlled coil shouldnt cause the pcm to burn up as it did. being as there power always running to the coil. threw the pcm and crank and pick up coil and cam sensor. before it gets to the coil. as for just jumping to the pcm you may have just created a headache. i would goo back over all your sensors checking for a 5v referance and 10-12v feed. then resistance from each signal (ground and 5v) to the pcm make sure its less the .5 ohms you may find you have a wire thats running like .75 ohms and its causing the pcm to work harder then need be which is what burnt it out. or you may waste a bunch of time for nothing bc everything is good. but id rather have wasted the time then be dead in walmart parking lot bc i went to grab a pepsi lol ( id throw in the bit about food stamps but you are driving a dodge. and everyone knows you cant be broke and own a dodge. and welfair dont cover gas at $4 a gallon lol)

Old 05-22-2014, 11:18 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I just reread the thread and another thing came to me as I read the first page, the ignition switch can cause this. I have had a car turn over but not start because of ignition switch being broken. OK it was either and Audi or a Jetta but still the principle is the same. Yours working after the PCM change may eliminate this as an issue but I thought it worth the mention for anyone researching in future.

Quick Reply: 89 no spark seems no one knows!!!!