1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1995 SLT ext cab Door removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Ohio Digger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 SLT ext cab Door removal

Well I finally got my door panel off my passenger door. The problem was my door was stuck shut so I had to pull the panel off with the door still closed. I pulled that off an managed to open the door. I have 2 very nice rust free southern doors that I'd like to put on. What is the easiest way to get these doors off? It looks like you have to take the front fenders off to get to the 3 bolts that hold each hinge assembly on to the body of the truck. I thought there was going to be pins that could be removed from the hinge but I'm not seeing any way for those pins to come out. Any ideas? The replacement doors have the entire hinge assembly as well.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes you can remove the hinge bolts, but there are pins, it is the actual pivot point of the hinge. It was not easy but wasn't too bad with a good hammer.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Ohio Digger

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Yes you can remove the hinge bolts, but there are pins, it is the actual pivot point of the hinge. It was not easy but wasn't too bad with a good hammer.
Yes I do see the hinge pins as well but was not sure how to actually remove them from the hinge assembly. I thought there would have been some kind of clip on the top or bottom of the pin that I could remove then slip the pin right out. Is the only option to pound them out with a hammer? Will they be reusable after that??

Old 06-14-2014, 01:58 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Will they be reusable after that? Probably not. However, hinge pin kits with the bushings aren't that much. $4 per door plus shipping? Cheap at twice the price

And due to age, HIGHLY recommended.

RwP

Old 06-14-2014, 02:17 PM
SteveDes
Rookie

I just replaced my door last week, knocked the pins out with a hammer and a small chisel. I just tapped them out lightly and reused them and they worked just fine as long as the bushings arn't shot.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As long you don't kill the pins while getting them out, they are reuseable.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:36 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are nuts lol. In a good way. The answer to the question is YES, reuseable, and YES, there are clips to allow them to nicely slide out without damage. It's a little sleeve style clip in between the two hinge arms. It will be hard to see, but remove this clip, and the pin will slid out with a push of a finger. Maybe a bit of an over exaggeration but I'm sure you get my point, no need to smash them up with a hammer or chisel! This is how I changed the passenger side door on my '93

Old 06-22-2014, 10:25 AM
SteveDes
Rookie

Not sure what you mean about nuts but my pins had no clips and I only used the chisel to be able to reached the top pin because of the curve at the top of the door. Nothing got mashed out just tapped them out. Geez!

Old 06-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Ohio Digger

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dorman+38388&view=detail&id=0248AF8DAB5FD 414D0ADF9A3F75F2650D8DFCCF3&first=2
(If you search Dorman 38388 you'll see the picture that I tried posting above)
Do you mean like the "sleeve" on this picture that goes around the pin and has the little ears sticking out? I tried pounding the pin out but the top of the pin started flattening out so I figured it wasn't coming. I haven't tried taking the sleeve off yet but to me it seems like the sleeve shouldn't be causing the problem yet since it is not near where the pin is going through anything yet. It almost seems like the pin is just seized in the dang hinge.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:35 AM
SteveDes
Rookie

Yes that sleeve needs to be removed, Mine didn't have the sleeve or clips just the bushings in the hinge and tapped out really easy.

Quick Reply: 1995 SLT ext cab Door removal