1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1988 Dakota V8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:34 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

2" springs and 2" drop spindles should yield close to a 4" drop.

!I! would not want that, but that's me - at stock ride height, my wife can get in and out very easily.

(I really need to replace the missing black plastic piece under the front bumper before I even THINK about any ride height changes past what, if any, the new bushings and ball joints and shock absorbers did ...)

RwP

Old 08-30-2014, 08:21 AM
haeseler333
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I don't want 4" total. I had thought of that after I sent the post. I think I will just go with the 1.5" drop spring that way it doesn't make any of the angles I have "borderline". I'm not worried about being able to get in or out.... or anyone else getting in or out. lol. My father mentioned using airbags in the front, but i wouldn't get the same kind of launch than with a coil spring. i would think it to be a bit too "squishy". lol

If I could find new knuckles that would allow for bigger brakes I would like to use them. however, if I can't find them I will have to make the original brake system work. I will just add new components.

Thank you, Ralph, for all the input. I will keep all this to mind. And will be ordering parts next week most likely. I will have pics as progress moves on.
Alex

Old 08-30-2014, 02:07 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

For the brakes - Chrysler was always "good" about using parts "beyond their sell-by date" *grins* There's a fair chance that some older RWD car or truck has parts that will swap in, such as the Newport brakes that are supposed to be a bolt-in replacement.

But I don't know, alas.

But it'd be something to keep in mind.

RwP

Quick Reply: 1988 Dakota V8 swap