1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Brake lights and flashers not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:35 AM
smellysell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights and flashers not working

My driver side rear light assembly got smashed, assembly was destroyed and the backup light socket was unusable too. Initially just replaced the assembly and everything worked fine (other than the one backup light obviously). Recently everything stopped working, other than the driver side brake light would work, until you put the blinker on, at which point it would blink but no brake light. Figured it was due to the backup light not being there, so initially tried connecting to the two wires to the backup light (dumb!) thinking that it might be a temporary fix and complete the loop until the new socket got here. It blew the fuse obviously, and after replacing the socket and putting a new fuse in, here is what I have.

• Headlights and front hazards work
  • Front turn signals just light up solid when turned on
  • Tail lights and backup lights work
  • No rear turn signal, hazard, or brake lights
Please help!

Old 09-09-2014, 10:45 AM
OMGnanerpus
Rookie

Have you checked the relays? They shouldn't be too expensive. Just buy one and see if it fixes it. If not, you'll have a spare directional/hazard relay after you fix the issue.

That may fix the turn signals staying solid. But it sounds like wires got mixed up somehow to me.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:56 AM
smellysell

Originally Posted by OMGnanerpus
Have you checked the relays? They shouldn't be too expensive. Just buy one and see if it fixes it. If not, you'll have a spare directional/hazard relay after you fix the issue.

That may fix the turn signals staying solid. But it sounds like wires got mixed up somehow to me.

Thanks, I'll try the relays.

Only wires I did anything with were the two going to the backup light, which was purple to purple, and black to black, so I don't think it was that.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:06 PM
smellysell

Bad relay, and a bad connection between the sockets and bulbs on both sides.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Brake lights and flashers not working