1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Transmission speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 06:09 PM
dmdcens
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission speed sensor

1994 V6 with a 42RH transmission. I am wondering if I have a transmission speed sensor. If so where is it located? I know about the vehicle speed sensor that is used for the electronic speedometer, it is located near the aft end of the transmission on the drivers side. They are two different sensors. I am trying to find the transmission speed sensor that sends a signal to the computer to help with fuel management.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:32 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do have a sensor in the drive train, the VSS. It's the input for the speedometer, cruise control,etc., and it's the one you mentioned in the transmission, or in the transfer case if your truck is 4WD. On newer Dakotas it's in the rear end. Maybe you're looking for the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS), it's the one the computer uses for fuel and ignition control and it's located on the rear of the engine block, topside, on the passenger side. Kind of hard to see, but it's usually held on with two allen screws that can be reached with an extension.

Quick Reply: Transmission speed sensor