1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1991 Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Weebles303
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Transmission Problems

I have read quite a few posts about generation 1 transmission problems. A lot of them had to do with losing overdrive or not shifting at the right speed. My problem is a little bit different.

I just had the transmission replaced about two months ago. When the shop gave it back to me they told me that the overdrive lock up solenoid was not disengaging when it should. They replaced it twice but it still had the same problem. When they disconnected the wiring harness it shifted great but I had no overdrive. This told us that the solenoid was working properly but the truck was sending the signal for the overdrive to be engaged all of the time. So I drive the truck daily with everything connected but I found out that if I manually shift the truck into 2nd when coming to a stop, the overdrive will disengage and the truck does not shutter when I come to a stop. Also, if I push the o/d off switch while I am in second, when I put the truck into drive it will not go into o/d until I push the switch again. However, if I am in drive and in o/d and I push the o/d off switch, nothing happens. The truck does not down shift. I also have no passing gear when I am in o/d. Wide open throttle does nothing and I have terrible acceleration.

So far the only thing I have done to try and fix the problem is replace the computer. I found one online for about $100 and swapped it out. It didn't fix the issue but the engine seems to run smoother and I gained about 4gpm so I am not too disappointed.

I am going to try and replace the vehicle speed sensor @$50 and the throttle position sensor @ $30. I am not sure what else would be controlling the transmission.

If neither of those two work I plan on putting a toggle switch on the solenoid and switching it off for city driving and passing on the highway and leave it on for highway driving. I would prefer fixing the problem instead of this option.

If anyone here has any input I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Quick Reply: 1991 Transmission Problems