1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Seemingly unique problem involving water pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:57 AM
blizzblang
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seemingly unique problem involving water pump

So, a little backstory first.
My grandpa gifted me his old 1993 2WD 6V 3.9L Dakota.
There wasn't much wrong with it, but there was a coolant leak somewhere.
Whilst inspecting some rust on the radiator ( before i replaced it ), I noticed a hose with its clamp slid forward. So I loosened it and moved it back so it was on the part of the hose that was on the fitting.
Fast-Forward 2 days, i noticed that the same hose was leaking transmission fluid. I didn't think much if it at the time, but I tightened it still. The next day my transmission is all weird, it gets worse and I eventually neutral-roll my way into a Autozone parking lot. Upon further examination I noticed that my drain plug was gone and I was leaking water fast, the transmission dipstick was almost clean . I used AAA to get it to my garage. Luckily I had gotten a replacement radiator that same day, so I went to work installing it. After 4 hours of work and mess, I installed the new radiator, added 2q of Trany fluid. All was well until i added water. The water pump begins leaking water, a healthy stream, engine off, or on. Thinking back, I remembered trying to take off the fan, i got the big nut shaped thing that's next to the pulley to turn a little, but then realized I didn't have to, so i stopped. So my question is, could what I did to the fan cause a leak from the water pump that wasn't there before, or was it the temperature of the coolant?

TL;DR
1993 2WD 6V 3.9L Dakota
Can a loose fan cause a water pump to leak?

All help/advice is appreciated.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:03 PM
AZjimbo

well sir, that fan shaft spins in a 'race' or bearings. If you put some downward pressure on that nut, you could have eggshaped the race and poof it leaks. Only solution there is to replace the water pump. On my V8 there is a bypass hose behind the waterpump. If you have one of them hoses, replace it with the waterpump as well.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:38 PM
blizzblang
Rookie
Default Follow up

Replaced the water pump yesterday, working fine

Quick Reply: Seemingly unique problem involving water pump