1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Ajh0791
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New truck

I recently acquired a 93 Dakota with the 5.2. It came with some extra parts and not sure exactly what to do with them. It came with an extra performance computer and extra stock computer and an msd 5 ignition and msd 8223 coil. They aren't hooked up and I don't know if I need to or how to hook them up. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. It has a 3.91 rear end

Last edited by Ajh0791; 11-04-2014 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-05-2014, 12:29 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, congrats on your new (to you) Dakota! I know a few people who would love to get a hold of a nice '93 V8 Dak, especially with that rear gear!

You didn't say how you intend to use your truck, but if you want a work and play vehicle, you found a good one, at least potentially. The 5.2 motor, 3.91 rear gear, HP computer, and ignition parts, suggest the previous owner ranked "playing" high on his/her list of uses for the truck.

So, what to do? You could plug in the computer and MSD parts (all easy to install) and enjoy the power trip -or- sell the computer and MSD stuff to someone more performance minded. I can tell you the performance computer will add noticeable low end (torque), but on the down-side, it will require premium fuel. If you choose to sell, there's always Craigslist or eBay, but I'd give the folks on the forum first crack at it. The 1st gen performance computers are a good find, they're like $300 if you buy from a performance seller.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:59 AM
Ajh0791

Thanks for all the information! I think with winter getting ready to hit, I'm gonna wait to hook all the performance parts up.
Just like every other dodge out there, it's rusty. So I plan on getting a new bed or less Rusty bed and the going to paint the entire truck in bed liner. 😳
I definitely got a hell of a deal on the truck. $700 and it also came with an extra set of wheels (summer and winter) I'll try to get a few pics up.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:16 AM
Ajh0791

Another quick question, if I use the HP computer, do I have to wait until the regular fuel is empty and then plug it in and get premium gas? Basically, how crucial is the premium fuel? How often can I switch back and forth between the two? Does the msd need hooked up when running the HP computer?

Originally Posted by ragged89
First, congrats on your new (to you) Dakota! I know a few people who would love to get a hold of a nice '93 V8 Dak, especially with that rear gear!

You didn't say how you intend to use your truck, but if you want a work and play vehicle, you found a good one, at least potentially. The 5.2 motor, 3.91 rear gear, HP computer, and ignition parts, suggest the previous owner ranked "playing" high on his/her list of uses for the truck.

So, what to do? You could plug in the computer and MSD parts (all easy to install) and enjoy the power trip -or- sell the computer and MSD stuff to someone more performance minded. I can tell you the performance computer will add noticeable low end (torque), but on the down-side, it will require premium fuel. If you choose to sell, there's always Craigslist or eBay, but I'd give the folks on the forum first crack at it. The 1st gen performance computers are a good find, they're like $300 if you buy from a performance seller.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:48 PM
tndakman
Rookie
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick answer to your question about waiting on the regular fuel is used up is NO, but you'll get 'pinging' under heavy throttle so you will want to get 91 or 93 premium into the fuel tank ASAP or 'cheat' by using an octane booster such as 104+. I myself do this on occasion in a pinch & it works fine for me YMMV. One thing I caution you on is this, be sure to disconnect the battery before starting work on switching the computers-this is essentially a plug-and-play operation but this step is essential to the computer you are replacing to 'reset'. Also be careful while unplugging/plugging the computer connection not to bend the pins in the connector. With a 3.91 rear gear & an HP computer--happy 5.0 Mustang hunting--if you can get traction--believe me this will become a problem--traction--not the 5.0's you'll encounter. It'll take some time for the HP computer to 'learn' it's environment-I don't remember how long or how many key on key off sequences but it will have to learn the environment its in. As far as the MSD parts being needed, all I can tell you is I've had a HP computer on my '92 since Ma Mopar made them available & I'm still running the stock coil,etc. with no problems yet--approx. 167,00 miles now. Personally I'd sell the MSD stuff to finance the 93 octane. Drive it like you stole it to 'set' the computer & then go 'Stang hunting. You said it had a lot of rust & you only paid $700 for it? I can only feel a strong pang of jealousy as you go stoplight to stoplight-happy hunting!!

Old 06-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Ajh0791

So I finally put my High Performance computer on the other day and have been driving it like mad to get it tuned to wanna go. I mentioned something about the MSD multi spark discharge and coil, I am not sure exactly how to hook it up. I have had a few people tell me I can't use it because I'm fuel injected and not carbureted. and others have told me to hook it up and play with it. So if I could get any guidance on that, it would be great!

Another thing maybe someone can help me with, for the last few months it has been running pretty rough. The idle is pretty low but only while in drive. I replaced the IAC, cleaned the throttle body, did Spark plugs, tested wires, cap and rotor replaced. After replacing the IAC it seemed to work a little better. TPS didn't seem to make a difference when I replaced that so I took it back. Haven't found any vacuum leaks. Also replaced the fuel filter, figure it probably needed done anyway after 22 years. Any other ideas would be great!
It also doesn't always want to start on its own. I have to press the gas pedal to get it going.

Thanks for any help!

Quick Reply: New truck