1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 dakota 3.9 auto,,, backfire, stall, cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 07:47 PM
declid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 dakota 3.9 auto,,, backfire, stall, cold

92 3.9,, we have changed everything plugs, wires ,cap,rotor, picup in dist,, crank sensor,, temp sensors both, manifold sensor,,tryed my pcm, switched throttle body complete,, cleaned injectors ,fuel pressure 30-40,checked fuses and relays ,switched them around , still when cold will backfire stall out run like crap real bad till it gets to running temp everytime, than it will run perty good,,, what else can i check ,, thanks ,tom

Old 11-22-2014, 09:37 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles are on the engine? How do the plugs look as far as color, carbon buildup, wet, dry? Is the coil grounded well? Has anyone checked vacuum in the system? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but they might help point in the right direction.

Also, you swapped the throttle body; and did that include the Idle Air Control (IAC) and MAP (manifold pressure) sensors?

I suppose it's possible you could have something like sticking valves and/or a worn timing chain contributing to this, which leads me to ask if this problem came on gradually, or suddenly?

Old 11-23-2014, 07:05 PM
T.C.
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue with my 92, 3.9L dakota. Check if the distributor shaft has a wobble. It wont be much maybe an "1/8" of an inch. Also check if you have oil pooling in the bottom of the distributor. If you do then most likely your distributor is worn and causing some of these issues. The degree of timing would be so finite that in warm weather/ warm engine you would not hear a difference. Usually to correct this issue "which I had to do myself for a distributor related problem" I had to swap out the worm gear drive, the brass bushing which the worm gear drive sits in above the oil pump "WHICH IS NOT FIXABLE!!!! AND ITS INDICATED IN DODGE REPAIR MANUAL, though there is a way to fix it, but LEAVE IT AS A LAST RESORT. AND MESSAGE ME IF THAT IS THE ISSUE" and the distributor shaft. For your issue, after replacing all of those components and not being able to find the issue. I would suggest going to the dodge garage and having one of the mechanics go over the timing via there diagonsitic tool. And check if you are running at the optimum timing degree.

Quick Reply: 92 dakota 3.9 auto,,, backfire, stall, cold