1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

My 1995 3.9 to 5.2 build/swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 10:38 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'd start by downloading the '95 FSM in the sticky section. Go to the wiring section and find the diagram for the '95 computer connector ('92 will be the same for everything important). The diagram is in the pdf file labeled "95AN-8W", and its on page 8W-10.

There are 60 pin connections (called cavities) in the connector, and in the diagram they are labeled according to their function (for example you can see the voltage supply from the battery goes to cav 3). Their are several grounds, voltages supplied to sensors (such as the O2), injector signal outputs, sensor inputs, and then some less critical signals for brakes, AC, etc. Mostly of course, you want to keep the circuits that connect directly to the motor, but inputs your Toyota may not supply, such as a neutral safety switch, can be grounded to fool the computer into thinking the device is there.

The engine bay harness will have another large connector that plugs into the firewall. That one has connections for the dash gauges, some fuses and interior switches. You'll have to decide which of those you may want to preserve, after which you can probably remove that connector.

Probably haven't told you anything you don't already know, but that's how I'd start

Old 07-12-2016, 09:55 AM
mschoppe1967
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do know a great deal of that but not all of it. I hadn't intended on hijacking your thread but appreciate your help. Knowing where to find tha fsm will be a great help. Thank you.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:22 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mschoppe1967
I do know a great deal of that but not all of it. I hadn't intended on hijacking your thread but appreciate your help. Knowing where to find tha fsm will be a great help. Thank you.
It's an old thread posted by huseman808's, but I haven't seen him on here in a while. Would sure like to see if he's done any more work on his truck.

Please post your progress on the swap somewhere, It'd be interesting to follow.

Quick Reply: My 1995 3.9 to 5.2 build/swap