1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Infinity Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:44 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Infinity Stereo

I was looking at a Infinity AM-FM Cd player out of a Jeep. The ad says its from a 99-03. Anyways, the plugs on the back look the same as my 87. There is a third plug, that I am not for sure where it goes. Possibly to steering wheel controls? But at any rate, does anyone know if this is plug and play on my 87? Or does the infinity have a separate amp? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:17 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

TO answer your questions - Yes, and yes.

See the Infinity take apart / troubleshooting guides on AllPar.COM - http://www.allpar.com/stereo/Infinity-III/ for the one that fits the 99-03.

That third plug is for the external CD deck, but for 99-03 will be a bit convulated to make work. If you find an older Infinity, however, all it takes is the right DIN plug (info is on the AllPar web site) and you can use it for an AUX input.

The amp was for the woofers only, but it's speaker-level outputs (same amps as the stock radio, according to the teardown) and will plug in and work fine with the factory wiring.

Matter of fact, I've got an older Infinity cassette deck (an Infinity II) in my 1988, just so I get the EQ. I do need to add a 4-channel amp and some woofers to it, though - factory sized speakers tend to be a bit thin on anything below 100Hz or so.

RwP

Old 01-04-2015, 08:36 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Ralph,
Thanks for your reply. I sent a pm to you with a link to the stereo. Also I had a few more questions for you which I included in the pm. thanks again

Quick Reply: Infinity Stereo