1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 Dakota Wont Start After Overhaul | Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Dakotr95
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 95 Dakota Wont Start After Overhaul | Please Help!

I overhauled my 95 V6 3.9L Dakota and have been working on it for months now. I sent the engine block and heads to be cleaned, repaired valve seats, installed new rings, cam bearings, lifters, gaskets, sensors, plugs, filters, fuel pump, caps, distributor, rotor, and a bunch of other stuff. Now that I am finished it's time to crank her up but it wont start.

The battery is good, the injectors are fine, there's fuel going to them, the coil is good and there is spark as well. At this moment I'm pretty much out of ideas. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out or if someone has experienced something similar. Check out the video below where I try to start it up. Thanks

VIDEO: Start Up Attempt

Old 01-08-2015, 04:53 PM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with the basics. It sounds like its trying, however I'd go over the plug wires. We all make mistakes, and I have put wires on in the wrong order or going the wrong direction around the cap. If that isn't the case, and I mean check them several times, start checking for spark at each plug and/or give it a shot of ether. That will narrow down if its a fuel or spark issue.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Dakotr95
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marcar1993
Start with the basics. It sounds like its trying, however I'd go over the plug wires. We all make mistakes, and I have put wires on in the wrong order or going the wrong direction around the cap. If that isn't the case, and I mean check them several times, start checking for spark at each plug and/or give it a shot of ether. That will narrow down if its a fuel or spark issue.

Thanks. Just finished checking both the spark plug wires and the plugs themselves. The all have spark, and are in order. What else is there to check? It's still doesn't want to run.

Quick Reply: 95 Dakota Wont Start After Overhaul | Please Help!