1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

HID Kit on a 1st Gen Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:05 PM
Alacoque
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Kit on a 1st Gen Dakota

I've always been less than satisfied with the headlights on my 92 Dakota. I've tried a lens restoration kit (which worked well), and aftermarket halogen bulbs. This made my lights a liiiittle bit brighter, but not much.

So, I'm thinking I'll turn to HIDs. A friend of mine installed a 6000k HID kit on her Wrangler, and they're SUPER bright! They have a nice, white colour with a very slight hint of blue. Very similar to modern LED headlights found in late model Mercedes, etc.

Here's a kit I found on Amazon that has great customer reviews. It seems like a good quality kit at a great price (the same or less than the cost of high-output halogens).

Amazon.com: Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Premium Ballasts - 9004 (HB1) Bi-Xenon - 6000k - 2 Year Warranty: Automotive Amazon.com: Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Premium Ballasts - 9004 (HB1) Bi-Xenon - 6000k - 2 Year Warranty: Automotive

Does anyone have any experience with HIDs on Dakotas? Or the Kensun brand? I haven't heard of anyone installing them, and I couldn't find any old threads on the subject.

EDIT: Also, can anyone verify that our Dakotas use the 9004 bulbs? Thanks.

Last edited by Alacoque; 01-07-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

HID bulbs in housings designed for halogens will give a poor light pattern. Yes, they look bright, but they throw light all over the place, including oncoming drivers' eyes. Lots of people do it, and lots of people will tell you it's a great upgrade, but I disagree. YMMV.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:12 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

I second Tom. However, three things you can do.

1) Replace the headlights with new ones. Polishing is a lot better, but I'm more satisfied with new plastic UV-coated than polished. YMMV, of course. RockAuto lists Tyc for about $69 each.

2) Swapping long life for brightness, swap in some better bulbs. I'm using Sylvania ZXEs in my 9004-retrofit housings on my 1988, and they're a LOT better than stock 4666 or 9004 bulbs.

3) Best of all - pick up a good projector upgrade, possibly polish out the inside of the lenses (you'll have to take the headlights apart to upgrade to projectors, so something to do while it's apart) to get rid of any fluting, and use those instead of shoving HID bulbs into your current housings. That's about the best of both worlds, IMO.

When you do this, consider both the spectral sensitivity of the human eye, and ponder why the sky's blue, and stick with HIDs in the 4300K to 6000K max (5000K better) to maximize the benefit of the light you put out there, and to avoid increasing glare in YOUR face when there's fog or rain.

RwP

Old 01-08-2015, 04:35 PM
Alacoque
Rookie

Is there anywhere you can get clear headlights?

Old 01-09-2015, 08:48 AM
sbatiste92
Default HID's

Im running 6k HID's in my 96 and it made a HUGE difference. even with the frosted lenses. aftermarket stock replacement lenses might be more clear than the ones you currently have, I know mine look sorta clear. but I have had my HID's in my truck for 2 years and I just bought the cheap $35 kit off ebay that don't even have high beams, just low beam and I can see everything around. its a full plug and play kit. deer don't stand a chance. I can always see them. if you want i'll try to get a few pictures for you.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:15 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

Originally Posted by Alacoque
Is there anywhere you can get clear headlights?
RockAuto has stock replacements. I did both of mine when I got sick of yellow frosted plastic. The stockers are indeed supposed to be clear.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:54 PM
RalphP
Champion

Alacoque - you mean "not-yellowed" clear, or the "no flutes" clear?

For the former, just as DukeDomB said - it's where I got the lights on my Cougar (Tyc brand, if it makes any difference). Retrofitted that car to the Grand Marquis quad lights - with 9011/9012 HIR bulbs, she lights the road up BRIGHT!

For the LATTER - you'll need to take them apart and sand down the flutes on the inside. There's a note on a TCCoA (Thunderbird Cougar Clubs of America) forum thread where a guy did that on his Cougar headlights, to get them clear both ways.

RwP

Old 01-17-2015, 02:42 PM
DukeDomB
Rookie

You know, it never occurred to me about the flutes. I didn't even think of that.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Alacoque
Rookie

Can anyone direct me to a link that is selling a projector upgrade for my headlights? I'm not having any luck finding some that will work.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-17-2015, 12:23 AM
RalphP
Champion

Again, Alacoque, if your headlights are fluted, even the projector won't work well.

Do you have the 4666 sealed beams, or the 9004 composite lights?

RwP

Quick Reply: HID Kit on a 1st Gen Dakota