1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Noid light stays on, code 27

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 04:21 PM
Ebanhale
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noid light stays on, code 27

I have a 1995 dakota 3.9 automatic with 120000 miles. I have an intermittent problem with code 27. 25% of my time driving the truck it works fine. The other 75% of time my truck runs really rough, like it's running on 4 or 5 cylinders. It also stalls sometimes when I'm coming to a stop. The check engine light is also on. Sometimes during this time white smoke comes out tailpipe, and smells heavily like gas.
I used a noid light test on all cylinders, all but the #6 cyl flashed correctly. #6 keeps the noid light on at all times. What would cause the noid light to stay on all the time? This is an intermittent issue, happens 75% of the time. Thanks

Old 01-11-2015, 05:14 PM
olddak90

I'm not sure but mine ran the same way and I changed the pick up coil and it fixed mine but mine is a 90 so I'm not sure how different our motors are

Old 01-12-2015, 09:18 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Since most injectors fire by the ECU grounding (i.e., 12V hot all the time the ASD is engaged, ECU grounds the return to fire), it could be a bad wire (grounding the - side), or a bad ECU.

I'd a) disconnect the battery, b) check for continuity to ground from the - side of that injector, then c) disconnect the PCM and d) repeat b.

If the continuity stays, you've got bad wiring. If it goes, your PCM is hanging, and you'll probably need a new PCM.

RockAuto lists them, but the local boneyard is a LOT cheaper.

RwP

Old 01-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Ebanhale
Default Disconnected battery

So I disconnected the positive and negitive wires to battery. I tested for continuity at problem injector harness, it's good. I then disconnected PCM harness and repeated the test and I still got continuity. This means a bad wire? is there somewhere I should start troubleshooting for a bad wire?
Thanks for taking the time to help
p.s. I bought a new PCM a month ago and it did not solve my problem

.QUOTE=RalphP;3219753]Since most injectors fire by the ECU grounding (i.e., 12V hot all the time the ASD is engaged, ECU grounds the return to fire), it could be a bad wire (grounding the - side), or a bad ECU.

I'd a) disconnect the battery, b) check for continuity to ground from the - side of that injector, then c) disconnect the PCM and d) repeat b.

If the continuity stays, you've got bad wiring. If it goes, your PCM is hanging, and you'll probably need a new PCM.

RockAuto lists them, but the local boneyard is a LOT cheaper.

RwP[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Noid light stays on, code 27