1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

reindexed keys --> rock solid ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:46 PM
Relic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reindexed keys --> rock solid ride

Hey just curious if there's a few ideas of things to look for. I cranked the reindexed keys up to somewhat level the front with an add-a-leaf rear. The front is about 1" lower than the rear. I think it was 23.25" from the centre of the wheel to the top of the wheel arch.

The bump stops were shot, so I didn't really worry too much about them when I cranked it up, but the ride is absolutely rock solid now. I do have a bit of clearance to the remainder of the bump stops, so I'm not sure if it's the shocks that are maxxed out, or if the torsion bars just have so much tension on them that they allow no movement. In theory, I should still have SOME clearance to the upper control arm, before it hits.

It's not unbearable to drive, (actually rides great on a smooth road) but every crack or pebble on the road is bone jarring, and speed bumps almost make the nose bounce, even when crawling over them.

So I was just wondering if there was any ideas of what I should look for when I check it out this weekend. If I have to drop it back down, I'll grudgingly do so, but it's still not exactly even with the rear so I'd really rather not haha.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:56 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Can you see if the shocks are maxed out? Honestly, if it didn't do it before and now it dies, your only choice may be to back off on it some and see what happens.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:51 AM
Relic

The shocks do seem to be pulled out quite a bit at a glance. Was just wondering if it's a possibility or common occurrence. Part of me was considering unbolting one side of the shock and taking it for a short drive to see if the rigidity changed. But figured I'd post up in here first to see if there was any other ideas.

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2015, 08:28 AM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea when cranking the stock shocks have little to no up travel, i had to find some a little longer for mine, no luck, made a relocation bracket for the top, also on up travel it easily hits the bump stop....

remember putting more preload on the torsion with tighten the suspension up, regardless how you did it, more lift = tighter suspension = rougher ride, my dakota before the modded key and crank i was like driving a cadillac, after all said and done, was like driving in a jeep, rough as hell but i had mud boggers which are stiff tires aswell running almost no air lol

Old 01-31-2015, 10:18 AM
Relic

Yeah i expected it to firm up a bit, and was actually looking forward to it. While the stock flex is nice off road, I'm constantly getting hung up on things. And the handling was actually too floppy for my tastes on road. Firming it up a bit was a trade off that i was happy to make. But it really went from soft and floppy, to no suspension at all.

With confirmation that the shocks could be the issue, I'll see what i can figure out. Troubleshooting in winter is no fun, but modification or repair with a goal in mind is something i can grit my teeth and get through haha

Quick Reply: reindexed keys --> rock solid ride