1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Think I Could Tow This Much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 02:44 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Think I Could Tow This Much?

My truck is a 1993 Dakota Extra Cab 3.9 4x4 5-speed manual with 3.55 gears. This setup is rated to tow 4,100 lbs. I want to tow a car weighing about 2900 lbs on a dolly weighing 750lbs. Then I will have a motor in the bed weighing maybe 300 lbs. So, hauling 300 lbs plus 3700 lbs behind me.

I'm not concerned with power. I'm concerned with brakes. There are no huge mountains but I need to tow it about 200 miles. I don't believe the tow dolly has surge brakes like the transporter does. Uhaul says this set up will work fine and they say nothing about brakes.

My brakes are completely redone except for the master cylinder and abs module, but I'm still concerned about the possibility of overheating.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I can tell you I once towed about 5500 lbs with mine for about 5 miles and never got over 35 mph. Wouldn't want to do that again!! But for mine, it was more of a power thing then brakes.
I think any trailer rated for a gross weight of 3500 or more is required to have brakes on the trailer. That being said, I would plan a slow trip and allow plenty of room in front of you to stop.
Good luck with your trip!!
BTW I have a friend who tows a S10 truck for drag racing. Its on a steel trailer. Anyways he tows it with another s10 and claims it does fine.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:58 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be fine, as long as you're careful and leave yourself plenty of stopping distance. If there are any long downgrades, though, your brakes are going to be smoking, even with the manual transmission.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:05 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks guys! I may be renting a UHAUL truck instead. It's kind of risky to do it with my truck considering it's "just out of the hospital" so to speak. I want to make sure all the kinks are worked out. Plus I'd prefer to use a car carrier instead of a dolly, both because they're easier to maneuver and because using a dolly would require I disconnect the rear driveshaft of the car (Subaru, AWD) I'm towing.

Nothin for sure yet.