1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Wiper bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 05:23 PM
angrysmileyface
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiper bushings

Ok, the wiper bushings on my 92 have worn out again (I had bought some help replacements, but I dont think they were correct) I know there are 4 bushings total in the design 3 with the hat and 1 donut. Does anyone have a diagram that shows were on each of the arm linkages these specific bushings go as well as part numbers? The donut is the one Im trying to decide if I need or not.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:08 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

I found a Youtube video of the linkage described at
. But to recap - I'd replace it, and there's only one place it can fit, at the driver's side (the intermediate arm at the driver's side).

To help it last longer, be sure to use some lithium based grease in it when assembling (I use some molybdeum / lithium grease, the same stuff I use in the suspension, but that's overkill in this application.)

That is, you pop the cap bushing into the arm, fill it with lithium, and pop it on the ****.

RwP

Old 04-29-2015, 03:30 PM
angrysmileyface
Professional
Default Bushings

Yes, I saw this video, but it seemed like he spent more time horsing around after the fact then showing which bushings go where. Does the donut go on the arm coming off the wiper motor and against the Lft most spindle?

Old 04-30-2015, 12:53 AM
RalphP
Champion

Y'know, I'd have to go look at mine again - but from that video, it looks like the arm that goes between the two wiper arms gets the donut on the driver's end. It should be fairly obvious, though - the OD is bigger for the biscuit jack IIRC. Doesn't matter, you get the arms backwards, it'll bind.

And it goes on the arm that goes on the driver's end first. Again, IIRC, it's a bit bigger for the through-hole one.

It's through so that the arm from the wiper motor (on the outside) can swing the driver's arm, which then the driver's arm swings the passenger side.

Again, be sure to lube it. Might not be a bad idea to include a shot of lithium grease on those bushings every time you have to swap wiper blades or something.

RwP

Old 04-30-2015, 09:05 AM
angrysmileyface
Professional

Got it. My wipers stopped working totally so I will dismantle the whole 9 yards.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:40 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

video no help.... need to unbolt both the wiper posts and everything will snake out. will need to press in the new bushings. be careful to keep track of the linkage orientation easy to put back in backwards and/or flipped over.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:17 PM
scottyspades

Just thought I would add my two cents. My bushings disintegrated during a heavy rain. After I got home I tore the cowl off and replaced the bushings with washers, a sleeve gromet, and snap rings. The whole thing works as good as ever, and it can't just shred and fly apart again..... again, just my 2 cents

Old 07-01-2015, 10:22 AM
96dakotaowner
Amateur

Good idea Scottyspades. I went to a you-pull-it junk yard and found my replacements, hope that helps.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:44 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

So you guys are saying that the easiest best way is to remove the entire assembly, press on the bushings and then work the whole thing back through the hole and bolt it back up?

Old 01-22-2016, 09:12 PM
RalphP
Champion

That's how I would do it. Makes it a LOT easier to pop in the bushings, and to grease them while assembling.

Secret here is to note how the arms are when you take it apart.

Also, it's three screws per side to drop the drives out of the cowl on the 1st gens.

So, six screws and the clip where it goes to the wiper motor - or just remove the arm on the wiper motor!

Either way, make sure the wiper motor has cycled, and reassemble with the arms in the "PARKED" position *grins* Don't ask how I know that ...

RwP

Quick Reply: Wiper bushings