1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Little update. Leveling kit, 31s & more

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:38 PM
Thomas_kota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little update. Leveling kit, 31s & more

Although my truck fit 31s with out lift keys (some rubbing) I got a leveling kit consisting of lift keys and 1.5" lift blocks in the rear. I lifted the fron another 1 1/4 " over maxed out stock keys. I can feel the control arms hitting the rebound stops some times, but overall Im totally happy with how it turned out. Doesnt feel to harsh.
Also did a tonne of repairs and maintenance.
Got a tranny flush cause fluid was just starting to get discoloured and smelt a little off. (not the worst ive seen) Transmission drives way better now!!
Replaced my brake master under warranty for the 3rd time now haha.
Also blew out my rear end and completely overhauled it with a new limited slip, sure grip diff.

Truck has so much grip, but I got stuck on my hitch once. High lift came in handy. Was thinking about making a bumper that has a receiver in it.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:14 PM
Astrothunderkat

Sweet! I plan on doing the same to my 96. 2" $100 ebay lift and 31" general AT's

Also sweet color scheme!

Old 03-29-2016, 09:09 PM
Thomas_kota
Rookie

Originally Posted by Astrothunderkat
Sweet! I plan on doing the same to my 96. 2" $100 ebay lift and 31" general AT's

Also sweet color scheme!
Thanks, also I had to do a little bit of cutting to my cab to make the 31s stop rubbing when I went over obstacles while turning. Just to give you the heads up.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:11 PM
Thomas_kota
Rookie

Ok since owning this truck Ive now rebuilt the rear end (now LSD), Transfer case and transmission. 1.5" blocks in rear and key lift in front. 31 inch tires. Got the old eagle alloys powder coated black haha. Plus lots of other little repairs here and there.

After a quick wash

Oops, dirty again...

Old 02-03-2017, 01:07 AM
biggman100
Rookie

Originally Posted by Thomas_kota
Thanks, also I had to do a little bit of cutting to my cab to make the 31s stop rubbing when I went over obstacles while turning. Just to give you the heads up.

What did you do to keep the tires from wearing on the frame on full turns? That was the issue i had with both my 1991 and my 1994. It would wear on the inside of the tire, because they would hit the frame, best i can describe is the area behind the bumper, when the wheel was turned all the way to one side or the other.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:25 AM
Thomas_kota
Rookie

Originally Posted by biggman100
What did you do to keep the tires from wearing on the frame on full turns? That was the issue i had with both my 1991 and my 1994. It would wear on the inside of the tire, because they would hit the frame, best i can describe is the area behind the bumper, when the wheel was turned all the way to one side or the other.
Those wheels I think have slightly more offset than stock. Also I hacked away at the corner below the drivers and passengers door. They never rub since I hacked the cab a bit. They just dont rub on the frame for me. They come really close to a cab mount if Im literally balancing on two wheels.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:30 AM
biggman100
Rookie

Originally Posted by Thomas_kota
Those wheels I think have slightly more offset than stock. Also I hacked away at the corner below the drivers and passengers door. They never rub since I hacked the cab a bit. They just dont rub on the frame for me. They come really close to a cab mount if Im literally balancing on two wheels.

I actually didnt pay much attention to the wheels on yours, and didnt notice they werent stock. On mine, it had the stock wheels. I never had to cut the cab or fender, but you could see where it rubbed the undercoating from the frame.

Quick Reply: Little update. Leveling kit, 31s & more