1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

96 Dakota and its fussy 42RE

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 09:13 PM
AlabasterNinjaMaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Dakota and its fussy 42RE

Hey, first time post here so be gentle.

To start I have a 3.9L V6 Magnum as the engine.

I've been having a problem with my transmission for a good while here and have been trying to diagnose it properly to fix or determine that I just have to give up on it all together. I'm not really in the market to get the transmission rebuild, it's not really worth it for this aging vehicle.

The problem starts with cold weather, hinting at the Temp/Pressure Sensor & Governor Solenoid. I did find that it throws a P0711 code, "Trans Temp Sensor No Rise After Start". The symptoms are, it takes a while for the transmission to clunk into reverse gear, while driving it does not like to go into third gear. At the coldest end of this winter it REALLY did not like going into third. While trying to shift; the transmission would pop back into neutral if you let off of the accelerator pedal, and would take a pretty high RPM to even engage back to second gear. It used start allowing third gear after it was heated up with trouble every now and then. It's seemed to have gotten worse this last winter.

At the end of this winter I felt the throttle valve cable wasn't set perfect so I began adjusting it in very small increments. I also found that the cable I have installed is probably not the original cable. I think its a Mopar part, but for a newer model truck/jeep. After adjusting I get caught between too tight and too loose with no clear perfect spot. If I move the sleeve closer to the throttle assembly it shifts at a lower RPM, but causes the transmission to go neutral when I am not applying throttle, and will only regain the gear when I rev the engine. If the sleeve is moved further from the assembly, the transmission will shift later. First and second seem fine, 0-20 then shift, but third sometimes doesn't like to engage until 40+MPH. It sometimes will if I let completely off the accelerator at 35, I will feel the engine pulling on the drive train as if I were in a manual transmission, resist, then fall into the more comfortable gear.

Today I just received a pending code P0740, "Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction." This was highway miles (now that I can achieve third and overdrive after the TV cable adjustment). It really didn't seem to act that terrible on the highway. The only thing I notice. When shifting from third to overdrive it seems like it "half shifts" hangs, then fully engages to OD.

I can definitely handle replacing the temp-pressure sensor/solenoid combo. I also could handle replacing the TCC/OD combo too, although I REALLY don't want to have to take the valve body off to replace the harness. I build hydrostatic transmissions for tractors and skid-loaders for a job so this stuff is pretty close to home to me. Minus the ridiculous complexity of an auto transmission.

The fluid level is fine, few bubbles on the dipstick. The fluid is light-ish pink, not burnt, and seems clean. I also have a Bluetooth dongle for my OBDII and Torque Pro installed on my phone for those who do that stuff.

Questions for anyone to chime in on:

If I do the temp/solenoid combo, should I fork up the extra for the TCC/OD?

How about the output speed sensor?

Does anyone have any info on PID's for trans temp sensor? All three methods on Torque do nothing, or is the temp sensor sending nothing... (PM me, no need to **** Chrysler off)

I read there is a temp sensor in the planetary gear and the governor temp sensor. The manual is not very clear on this. Can anyone elaborate?

Should I feel the engine pull on the transmission while I am not holding the accelerator? I don't want to be causing damage here. It seems like it should be on the low end of the next gear.

Could loose bands cause any of these issues? I assume they were adjusted due to the new TV cable, and the previous owner probably trying everything he could before he gave up on the old girl. Other than this the engine is in pretty good condition.

-----------------------

Sorry for such a long post, I've been researching this for a good while now and I really hate the idea of swapping parts that may be perfectly fine. Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:37 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

I am not a tranny guy but would handle the codes first. Do that first code whatever the recommended repair is, wipe the codes then drive it for a while to see if the second code comes up and if the problem has changed. and so on from there.

Quick Reply: 96 Dakota and its fussy 42RE